Deadline- 1 May 2013
The Latvian Government State Education Development Agency (VIAA) invites applications from eligible applicants for bachelor’s and master’s scholarship funded by the Latvian Government. Scholarship offers LVL 350 per month for bachelor and master students.
Only citizens from countries which have signed an Agreement or offer scholarships for Latvian students can apply for the Latvian government scholarships. See the section Signed Agreements.
Applications will be accepted from students who have successfully completed at least one academic year of studies (at their home HEI or in a Latvian HEI if they already have been studying in Latvia).
Scholarships for bachelor and master studies are granted for a time period up to 10 months (for PhD-students – up to 11 months).
If a student wants to continue her/his studies in Latvia for one more year, she/he has to apply for the Latvian scholarship again. The Latvian scholarship can be awarded not more than two times to one individual.
In general, the academic year in Latvia lasts from September 1 to June 30.
The following documents are necessary to apply for the Latvian scholarship for studies:
- Application form: ;
- Curriculum Vitae (applicants are asked to use the Europass CV form);
- Motivation letter;
- Certified photocopies of diplomas, including diploma supplements (shall be submitted if the candidate has completed previous studies) or a transcript of records (shall be submitted if studies are not finished yet);
- At least one letter of recommendation by academic staff dated not earlier than six months prior to the date of submission of the application;
- A letter of the relevant Latvian HEI confirming the possibility to study in the chosen study program (invitation letter). Please contact the International Relations Department/Unit or Foreign Students Department/Unit of the Latvian HEI directly; List of contact persons in the Latvian HEIs:
- Certificate or other document certifying the language proficiency required for studies;
- Copy of passport or identity card.
- The application deadline for study and research stays is 1 May 2013.
- All documents, which are not in Latvian or English, shall be translated into Latvian or English. All translations shall be officially certified.
- The curriculum vitae and motivation letter shall be dated and signed.
- The application form and all the enclosed documents shall be submitted in two sets.
- Any incomplete applications or applications handed in after the deadline will not be taken into consideration. Documents sent by fax or e-mail will not be accepted.
- The submitted documents will not be returned.
- Application dossiers for scholarships for studies at Latvian HEIs have to be sent directly to VIAA with the following exceptions: Lithuanian, Estonian, Czech and Polish candidates have to send the dossiers to the competent authorities of their countries:
- All applications will be evaluated and the final decision on granting scholarships will be made by the evaluation committee of VIAA.
- The list of accepted candidates will be published on the website of VIAA (English version) at the end of June 2013. All candidates will be informed personally about the results by e-mail.
The amount of the Latvian scholarship for studies is:
for bachelor and master students – LVL 350 per month;
for PhD students – LVL 470 per month.
- If the Latvian HEI asks the foreign student to pay tuition fees for the chosen study programme, he/she can use the scholarship for covering of the tuition fee or for accommodation and meals. The amount of the scholarship is not big enough to cover both.
- Upon request, the host HEI provides the scholarship holder with a place in a dormitory or a guesthouse. Requests for accommodation in the international student dormitories must be submitted one month before arriving. Alternatively, foreign students may consider renting an apartment in the city.
- In any month in which the foreign student is present in the territory of Latvia for less than 15 calendar days no scholarship is provided.
- The Latvian scholarship cannot be awarded concurrently with other scholarships.
- Travel expenses to the Latvian HEI and back to the country of origin are not covered by the Latvian scholarship.
- Scholarship holders are required to make their own arrangements for insurance coverage.
Please visit the website of the VIAA for useful links to information sources for foreign students in the Republic of Latvia.
Please read Cabinet Regulation No. 68, adopted 24 January 2012, EN “Procedures for Granting Scholarships to Foreigners” (Stipendiju piešķiršanas kārtība ārzemniekiem, LV).
Additional information on the scholarships granted by VIAA can be obtained in the International Cooperation Programme Unit, Management and External Cooperation Department, VIAA.
Tuition language at Latvian higher education institutions is Latvian, but there are a lot of study programmes offered in English (please visit the website: www.studyinlatvia.lv for more information).
Ms Aija Jakovica,
Senior Specialist of the International Cooperation Programme Unit
Telephone: + 371 67814331, e-mail: [email protected]
Valsts izglītības attīstības aģentūra (VIAA, State Education Development Agency)
Vaļņu iela 1, Rīga LV-1050