Submission Ends: March 5th 2013
The objective of this contest is to showcase Windows Phone 8 as a great platform for developing cool apps. For purposes of this Contest, each complete Windows Phone app you have published and available for Windows Phone 8 users as of 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time (PT) on March 5th will be called an “entry”. Apps will be judged based on the criteria below and the top 64 winners will be placed in a head to head tournament style voting challenge to determine the ultimate champion of the Contest.
Whether you already have an app or want to create a new one for Windows Phone 8, this challenge will let consumers try yours and others, then vote for their favorites. It’s a fun, head-to-head, bracket-style competition that starts by rating all the entries and selecting the top 64. Then, these 64 are whittled down over several weeks of consumer voting. Think your app has what it takes? Register, let the world decide, and win cool prizes!
WHAT ARE THE START AND END DATES?
This Contest starts at 12:01 a.m. PT on January 14, 2012, and ends at 11:59 p.m. PT on April 8, 2013 (“Promotion Period”) and will consist of the following periods:
Submission Period: January 14, 2013 – March 5, 2013
Rating Period: March 6, 2013 – March 12, 2013
Public Voting Period: March 19, 2013 – April 8, 2013
To qualify for the Rating and Public Voting Period, all entries must be submitted by the end of the Submission Period.
How to get involved
All you have to do is register via our email opt-in and make sure your apps are live by 11:59 p.m. PST on March 5, 2013 in order to be included in the competition.
From March 6 through March 12, apps will be judged based on consumer ratings and a professional assessment of app quality. The top 64 will move forward to the voting rounds. Make sure your apps are attractive and high-quality, so that they have a good chance at making the cut!
From March 19 through April 8, the field of 64 will be narrowed to 32, 16, 8, 4, 2, and finally the grand prize winner based on consumer voting. For the voting public, we’ll also be giving away a Lumia 920 every day during the voting period via sweepstakes to encourage people to check out your apps and vote.
What are you waiting for – register today to get visibility for your app and the opportunity to win great prizes. Good luck!
* Contest open only to students, hobbyists, or developers in the field of software technology 18+. Submission period ends 3/5/13 and public voting period ends 4/8/13. For details, see Official Rules of the Microsoft Windows Phone Next App Star Contest.
All 64 challenge winners will receive:
A Nokia Lumia 920 Windows Phone.
Featured promotion in the Windows Phone Store.
Exposure for winning apps via online media.
A 1-year free Dev Center subscription.
The Grand Prize winner receives:
All of the above, PLUS
Featured placement of your app in a Windows Phone primetime TV ad in the U.S.
- ROUND ONE (64 apps) Nokia Lumia 920 Windows Phone, featured promotion in the Windows Phone Store, exposure for winning apps via online media, and a 1-year free subscription to the Windows Phone Dev Center
- ROUND TWO (32 apps) Nokia Wireless Charging Pillow by Fatboy (phone not included)
- ROUND THREE (16 apps) JBL PowerUp Wireless Charging Speaker for Nokia and inclusion in the Windows Phone Next App Star Collection
- ROUND FOUR (8 apps) Sony Vaio Touchscreen Ultrabook
- ROUND FIVE (4 apps) App featured in an episode of Hot Apps on Microsoft Channel 9
- ROUND SIX (2 apps) Invited to participate in a Microsoft developer conference. Airfare, up to three nights’ hotel accommodations and conference fees will be paid by Microsoft
- GRAND PRIZE (1) In addition to the prizes listed above, one grand prize winner will receive the opportunity to have their app featured in a Windows Phone prime-time TV ad in the U.S.