Application Deadline: December 31st 2015
The Next Einstein Forum (NEF), an AIMS initiative in partnership with the Robert
Bosch Stiftung, is a new global forum for science in Africa that will propel Africa onto the global scientific stage.
The NEF will unite more than 500 outstanding thinkers and distinguished stakeholders from
around the world together in Africa. NEF Global Gatherings, held every second year, will showcase Africa’s top young scientists and connect them with leaders from Africa and the
rest of the world in high-profile, invitation-only forums.
These leading scientists, policy-makers,business people, journalists, civil-society representatives and entrepreneurs will highlight breakthrough discoveries and catalyze
scientific collaboration for human development.
To be held in Dakar,Senegal from the 8th to the 10th of March 2016, the NEF will touch on the three pillars of science, society and policy.
The NEF Fellows programme will showcase 15 of Africa’s best young scientists on the global stage. The NEF Fellows programme will provide these brilliant young women with the opportunity to present their research and draw upon the vast networks of NEF members and participants for support, connections and advice to advance their work.
Applications to the NEF Fellows programme are open to Africans from around
the world-including those who currently reside in the Diaspora-in all fields of science, including the social sciences and technology fields.
This unique and diverse group will represent a wide range of research interests, experiences and perspectives, but will have in common extraordinary achievements and
dedication to science and its contribution to solving societal challenges.
• 42 years of age or less as of 31.12.2015 (Born after 1 January 1973)
• Hold a passport from an African country
• Be a woman scientist or technology specialist, who holds a PhD in Science, Technology,
Engineering, Mathematicsor social science fields
• Demonstrated track record of research/findings that have impact globally
• Passionate about raising Africa’s profile in science and/or social science
• Able to clearly present their work to an audience in English or French
NEF Fellowship benefits
- Attend the prestigious, invitation-only NEF Global Gathering in March 2016 alongside Nobel Prize winners, Heads of State and representatives from leading global corporations
- Increase your global visibility among scientists representing Africa, leading thinkers, policy-makers, industry and civil society leaders, and be featured, interviewed and showcased widely to an expected 100 million viewers and readers worldwide
- Take advantage of the opportunity to mentor and inspire other young, exceptional scientific talent from Africa
- Interact with, receive mentoring from, and partner with leading women scientists, policy
-makers, industry representatives and civil-society leaders, as well as other exceptional young African scientists
- Contribute to the establishment of a positive global view of science in Africa
- Application and programme participation are completely free
Criteria for Selection
• (30%): Outstanding academic qualifications, as measured by the standards of the p articular academic discipline.
Examples of notable achievements include:
- Publication record
- Prizes and other awards, such as especially distinguished fellowships or memberships in
prestigious academic circles (for example,in high-ranking committees, bodies, academies, etc.)
- Independently raised funding from outside sources in a competitive process
- Number of patents
- The type and number of invited talks at international conferences
- All applications are to be submitted by email to fellow – firstname.lastname@example.org in English or French.
- Please download the form at nef.org/fellows
The application form will request the following information from you.
• Contact information
• CV,uploaded as PDF
• Photograph (face and shoulders only & must be high-resolution)
• A 2-3 minute recorded video responding to the three points below.The
video does not have to be professionally done (it can be taken with a camera or phone, for
example) but the picture and sound should be clear. Please note that a clear and well- presented video will positively impact your application.
- Tell us about yourself
- Tell us about your previous work clearly demonstrating impact–both locally and globally
- Why should you be a NEF Fellow (‘‘ I believe I am a NEF Fellow…’’)
- • Very brief answers to the following questions (250 words max for each)
- What would you do with the opportunity of being showcased as a NEF Fellow?
- What 3 research questions do you want to know the answers to?
- Which 5 leaders in your field , or thought leaders in general would you want to bring on stage with you at the NEF and why?
- • Name and contact information of two referees who can speak to your professional experience, character and potential
• Applications accepted only for women
• Applications close — 31 December 2015
• Pre-selection — January 2016
• Final Selection by interview and References — January 2016
• Publication of results — January 2016
For More Information: