Application Deadline: December 2, 2022
The Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Scholarship is a three-year program (with no possibilities of extension) and Scholars must be involved for the three years in the learning program of the Scholarship.
The theme of our 2023-2026 Scientific Cycle will be Canada in the World. This theme will contextualize the leadership training offered to the 2023 cohort of Scholars
To apply to the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Scholarship, you must meet the following eligibility criteria:
1) You must be already accepted into or in year one or two of a full-time doctoral program, and expected to complete your doctoral studies in 2026 or later.
2) Your field of study is broadly related to the humanities or human sciences of direct relevance to the future of Canada; (please refer to the FAQ for more details and read up on past scholarship recipients)
3) Your doctoral work must relate to at least one of the Foundation’s Four Themes: Human Rights and Dignity, Responsible Citizenship, Canada and the World, People and their Natural Environment.
4) Be a Canadian citizen studying at a Canadian or foreign institution, or a non-Canadian (permanent resident of Canada or foreign national) enrolled in a doctoral program at a Canadian institution.
Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Scholars receive:
- Membership in a vibrant community of Scholars, Mentors, and Fellows, all of whom are leaders in their respective disciplines and sectors
- Leadership training from our Mentors and Fellows, including unique experiential learning opportunities that enrich and complement their academic experience
- Opportunities to acquire greater proficiency in Canada’s official languages (French and English) as well as Indigenous languages
- Lifelong membership in the Foundation’s alumni network.
- Up to $40,000 per year for three years to cover tuition and reasonable living expenses to focus on their doctoral studies and the Foundation’s leadership program
- Up to $20,000 per year for three years, for the learning of languages (see below), for travel and accommodations for the Foundation’s leadership program and for research, networking, and travel related to their doctoral research
How to apply
Candidates who are committed to a three-year leadership program and who meet the eligibility criteria can apply directly to the Foundation through the application portal.
Universities play an integral role encouraging candidates to apply, recommending candidates (academic referees) and later, confirming the status of their students and other details.
The Foundation reviews all applications. Shortlisted candidates are invited to group interviews. Finalists proceed to interviews with the Application and Nomination Review Committee (ANRC) who recommend their choices to the Board of Directors for final approval.
December 2, 2022 at 5:00 p.m. EST
Deadline to apply directly to the Foundation.
February 6, 2023
Invitation to semi-finalists for Round One group interviews
February 20 to 23, 2023
Round One: Virtual group interviews and information sessions with semi-finalists
March 10, 2023
Invitation to finalists for Round Two individual interviews
March 28 to 30, 2023
Round Two: Final interviews with members of the Application and Nomination Review Committee
End of May 2023
Official announcement of 2023 Scholars
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarships 2023