Application Deadline: 15 August 2017 midnight , South African Standard Time (SAST)
Eligible COuntries: South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia and Swaziland
95 Rhodes Scholars are selected annually from many countries around the world. They are young women and men from diverse backgrounds and interests who show potential to be public-spirited leaders for the world’s future.
The Rhodes Scholarships are postgraduate awards supporting outstanding all-round students at the University of Oxford, and providing transformative opportunities for exceptional individuals. The Rhodes Trust provides the Rhodes Scholarships in partnership with Second Century Founder, John McCall MacBain and other generous benefactors.
- South Africa-at-Large Scholarships:
You should apply to the committee (the “Regional Selection Committee”) in whose area you permanently live or in which you have received, or are currently receiving, any considerable part of your education. Save for KwaZulu-Natal as explained below, all successful candidates from Regional Selection Committees are sent to the South Africa -at-Large Selection Committee, for the final round of interviews.
- The South Africa-at-Large Selection Committee selects successful candidates and recommends them to the Rhodes Trust, which ultimately makes the scholarship awards. There are four regional selection committees, namely:
- KwaZulu-Natal Scholarship:
You may apply for the KwaZulu-Natal Scholarship if you live permanently or have received, or are currently receiving, a considerable part of your education in KwaZulu-Natal (KZN). The KZN Selection Committee may make one direct recommendation (similar to those of the South Africa-at-Large Selection Committee) to the Rhodes Trust each year, and also acts as a Regional Selection Committee.
Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia and Swaziland Scholarship (BLMNS):You may apply to the BLMNS selection committee if you fulfil the citizenship or legal residence requirement in one of the mentioned countries. The procedure is the same as that for the South Africa-at-Large Scholarships.
- The regional and school selection committees usually meet in October/November.
- The BLMNS selection committee will hold its interviews towards the end of November.
- The South Africa-at-Large selections are usually held on the last weekend of November or the first weekend of December.
- Reasonable travel expenses to the nearest selection committee (and for those shortlisted by the KZN committee) for the purposes of interviews will be paid. The Trust will not be responsible for the cost of overseas travel.
- Accommodation within South Africa will, where necessary, be provided.