Application Deadline:31 October 2019
When Nigerian novelist, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, addressed the TED Conference in 2009, she spoke of the danger of the single story, a distorted, one-dimensional view of Africa that sees the continent only through a prism of war, disease, poverty, starvation and corruption.
Short Story Day Africa was established to celebrate the diversity of Africa’s voices and tell you who we really are; what we love; love to eat, read, write about. We want to bring you the scents on our street corners, the gossip from our neighbours, let you listen to strains of the music we dance to. Because we have something to tell the world. About us. In our own voices.
First prize: $800 | Second prize: $200 | Third prize: $100
Simultaneous submissions are not welcome. Any story entered or published elsewhere during the course of judging or publication will be disqualified.
Any African citizen or African person living in the diaspora*, as well as persons residing permanently (granted permanent residence or similar) in any African country, may enter.
Writers may only submit one story for the competition. Repeat entries by the same writer will be disqualified.
Writers are welcome to submit stories in any fiction genre.
Stories must be relevant to the theme, although we do encourage creative interpretations.
Stories must be between 3000 and 5000 words in length.
Stories must be submitted in English. While you are free to incorporate other languages into your story, the story must be able to be understood fully by its English content.
Stories must be submitted online via Submittable between 1 June 2019 – 3 1 October 2019. The link to the submission form will be made live on 1 June 2019.
To facilitate easy reading and judging, please format your stories according to the format stipulated below. Stories not formatted in this way are at the risk of being disqualified.
Stories must not have been previously published in any form or any format.
You are welcome to enter under a pseudonym or nom de plume, as long as you also include your real name along with your entry.
All entries will be judged anonymously. Please DO NOT put your name or any other identifying details anywhere on your manuscript.
Required Manuscript Format
- Type your document, using a single, clear font, 12-point size, double-spaced. The easiest font to use is Times New Roman, or a similar serif font.
- Put the title of your story at the top of the first page. Please give your story an original title. Please DO NOT title your story Hotel Africa, SSDA Story or any similar version of such. Start your story immediately below the title.
- Put an accurate word count at the top right.
- Please number the pages.
- Left-justify your paragraphs.
- Ensure there is at least a 1 inch or 2 centimetre margin all the way around your text.
- Indent each new paragraph by about 1/2 inch or 1 centimetre, except for the first line of the story or the first line of a new scene. Please use the indent function of your programme, not multiple spaces or tabs.
- Don’t insert extra lines between your paragraphs. A blank line indicates a new scene.
- Put the word “End” after the end of your text, centred, on its own line.
For More Information: