The Federal Government of Nigeria through the Public Works, Youth and Women Employment Component of the Subsidy Reinvestment and Empowerment Program (SURE-P) established the GIS, which aims to provide the unemployed graduates youths with job apprenticeship opportunities that will expose them to skills and experiences relevant to the current labour market and enhance their employability.
GIS seeks to create opportunity for eligible graduate youths to be placed as interns in reputable public/private sector firms to enhance building the manpower requirement to drive the Nation’s Transformation Agenda and Vision 20:2020.
Benefits to interns:
Provide interns with skills and information required to enter into work.
Youth empowered to prepare to work for themselves or create jobs for others.
Acquiring skill will protect youth from demand and supply shocks.
Opportunity to sharpen their skills and enhance employability.
Opportunity to build new networks and professional contacts.
Benefits to Firms/Organizations:
Build human capital prepared for current and future labour demand.
Be part of building manpower base for natural development and enhance our attainment of Vision 20:2020.
Opportunity to recruit talented interns after graduation from the GIS.
Expected Outcomes of the GIS:
Increased skills of youth
Increased number of interns employed or engaged in self-employment.
Increased Small and Medium Enterprises.
- To register as a graduate for this scheme you MUST:
- Be a citizen of Nigeria (must provide a valid ID)
- Be between ages 18 – 40 years (must provide birth certificate)
- Have completed the mandatory NYSC or exempted.
- Be holder of a degree equivalent (e.g. BSc, BEng, BA, HND etc.) certificate or higher qualification.
- Have a recent passport type photo ready to be uploaded during online registration. Please note size of image must not exceed 99kb.
- Complete the online registration form.
- Make available ALL original documents for sighting at point of selection.
- To register as an employer for this scheme you MUST:
- Be registered with Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) and other relevant professional bodies.
- Provide evidence of VAT Registration and the latest Tax Clearance Certificate.
- Prove that they are economically viable and engaged in legitimate business by providing other relevant documents e.g. Company Profile, Audited Accounts etc. This information will be used to examine the firm’s progression since its inception.
- Be prepared to provide a mentoring plan for each intern.
- Be prepared with specific assignments for interns.
- Be able to employ interns for a period of one (1) year.
Internship Position Posting, Intern Positions posted must:
Be legitimate positions available on the stated timescale.
Be suitable work for a Graduate.
Not require the Graduate to undertake work that is illegal or unsafe.
Meet standard safety regulations/facilities.
Be able to provide at least 12 months of skills development.
Be able to provide a mentoring plan to guide skills development.
Applying for Work
When applying for positions as a Graduate you must:
Be available to work at the chosen business and location.
Be willing to undertake a full 12 month placement; and
Be prepared to comply with the employers’ safety and employment practices.
Payment of Interns
Payment of Intern will be undertaken directly by the PW/WYE PIU to the
Neither the Graduate nor the Employer are required to pay any fee for using the Graduate Intern Scheme service, and no fees, charges or commissions are to be paid to any party in relation to this scheme by the Graduate or the Employer.