Submission Deadline: 1 May 2013
1st Prize: A$1,500
2nd Prize: A$500
Diary Cover Prize: A$500
The People & Planet International Photography Competition aims to select 53 photos to be published in the 2014 People & Planet: Social Justice & Environment Diary and Calendar, which raise money for our 40+ Australian charity partners. (You can download a PDF excerpt from the 2013 diary here). The competition is open to amateur and professional photographers anywhere in the world.
What are we looking for?
We’re looking for 53 extraordinary images of people, places or objects which tell a story about a social-justice or environment issue. Photos of almost any genre will be accepted, including portraits, landscapes, animals, objects, or any combination of these. We particularly like photos which tell “good news” stories about social-justice or the environment. With 53 spots up for grabs, this is an incredible opportunity to have your photos published and achieve international recognition!
You can submit up to 4 photos per entrant. All submitted photos must be accompanied by 3-5 sentences describing the image and the social-justice or environment issues which are raised by the photo. Photos will be assessed jointly with the accompanying description.
The People & Planet International Photography Competition is open to everyone, and we particularly encourage people living in the developing/majority world to enter.
The images can be colour or B&W, but must be at least 300 dpi resolution, supplied in JPEG format, with a maximum file size of 10 MB. We like minimal Photoshop-ing, and we will usually exclude photos where Photoshop-ing is obvious.
Please don’t submit images that were submitted to this competition in previous years.
How do you enter?
Entry is Free. Just email your entries to [email protected] by 1 May 2013. Please send each image in a separate e-mail.
All participants will receive confirmation of entry via email after the competition closing date.
In the body of the email please list the following in English:
- Your name
- Your country
- Your email address
- Your postal address
- A title for your photo
- Three to five sentences describing the image (who, what, where, when) AND the social-justice or environment issue(s) which are raised by the photo
- The country and place the photo was taken
Images which do not include all the above information in English will not be accepted.
Before submitting images, please carefully consider whether they would fit the style of the People & Planet Diary and Calendar. Images which feature nudity or violence cannot be accepted. Please do not add borders or other alterations to submitted images.
The winners will be selected by the competition Judges:
• Michael Cebon (People & Planet Diary and Calendar Editor)
• Rodney Dekker (Documentary Photographer)
All 53 winners will receive a free copy of the 2013 People & Planet Diary, with cash prizes going to the best two photos and the photo that is used on the cover of the People & Planet Diary & Calendar.
Rules for Entry
- Entries must be received by 1 May 2013.
- Entrants may submit up to a maximum of 4 photos each.
- Entries must be your own work.
- Entries are only eligible if they include a) a title for each photo, b) 3-5 sentences describing each photo and the social-justice or environment issue(s) which are raised by the photo, c) the place the photo was taken, d) the entrant’s name, country & postal address.
- No responsibility is accepted for ineligible entries or entries made fraudulently.
- We reserve the right to crop the images and edit descriptive text as we see fit for publication.
- We reserve the right to edit or rewrite photo titles and descriptions for publication online and in print
- We will accept entries which have been previously published elsewhere.
- All winners will be notified by 2 July 2013.
- By entering the contest, you give People & Planet the right to publish your photos in the 2014 People & Planet Diary, the 2014 People & Planet Calendar, 2014People & Planet Gift Cards and any publicity associated with the diary, calendar or cards only. Any other use of the photos will be by your permission.
- Decisions by the competition judges are final and no correspondence will be entered into regarding their decisions.
- By entering this competition you are accepting these rules and agree to be bound by them.