Application Deadline: October 28th 2020
Could your picture tell a thousand words? Then the camera is in your hands. The photo competition is open to anyone with a passion for turning the lens on the real lives behind the headlines, and an ability to capture the most powerful images of the pandemic’s impact on everyday people.
You don’t have to be a photographer or a journalist to apply; we’re calling for all visual storytellers to capture the untold consequences of COVID-19 on people’s lives and livelihoods.
The main objectives of the Award are:
- Encouraging awareness of the human impact of COVID-19 by leveraging and scaling the crucially informative role of citizens
reporting on these issues;
- Shedding light on the many underreported dynamics relating to COVID-19; and
- Motivating citizen journalists and photography enthusiasts to report on the human impact of COVID-19
– The Award is open to all people with an interest in photography, may the extent of their interest be professional, amateur, journalistic, a hobby, opportunistic or even accidental. All entries should focus on the theme of the human impact of COVID-19.
– The Award is open only to those who are at least 18 years of age on the last date for entry. Proof of age may be required.
– Photographs submitted may be published or unpublished. All Photographs must be original (meaning not using third party copyright materials) but can be pre-existing or created especially for this Award.
– Entrants must be available to attend the online masterclass, which will be taught in English. This is provisionally scheduled for January 2021, but reasonable notice of the final dates will be provided to the winning Entrants.
• All the recipients of the Award (the “Winners”) will receive an Award certificate.
• Winners will be granted attendance to an online photojournalism masterclass run by the Thomson Reuters Foundation. This masterclass will allow the Winners to enhance their skills as well as identify how to best capture images to tell stories.
• Each Winner will also each be offered the unique opportunity to work alongside the Thomson Reuters Foundation’s news team on a piece of photojournalism content selected by the Thomson Reuters Foundation that will be shared via the Reuters wire, a global distribution news network.
How to enter
– The official entry period (the “Application Period”) is from 12th August 2020 to 28th October 2020 (the ‘’Entry Period’’).
– To enter the Award during the Entry Period, visit the Award Website and follow the entry instructions which will require, among other things, that the Entrant create and submit via electronic transmission a published or unpublished original photograph taken by them (the “Photograph”) as specifically described above and/or on the Award Website.
The Photograph must be accompanied by:
• a description of the Photograph giving context and background;
• biographical information about the Entrant (name, location, and confirmation of the fact that they are 18 or above); and
• a clear headshot of the Entrant, all of which may be used and/or reproduced by the Organisers in any electronic or physical media or material pertaining to the competition should the Entrant be successful enough to be shortlisted for, or win, an Award. Any entry which does not include the above items may be deemed invalid and not be considered.
For More Information: