Application Deadline: April 10 2014
Position : Research Fellow
Functional Title : : Research Fellow in New Technologies
Department/Office/Division: Economic Commission for Africa/Special Initiatives Division/ New Technologies and Innovation Section
ECA is inviting applications from qualified young African Professionals in the area of new technologies, including ICTs in the context of new technologies for Development. Qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.
Candidates applying for the position must be below 36 years of age at the time of the application. Candidates currently enrolled in a Ph.D. programme or with an admission are also welcome to apply. Fellowship within ECA aims to provide practical, on-the job experience to the professionals as they build and develop their professional career at African development institutions, teaching and research think tanks or member States’ government institutions.
Fellows will also become familiar with the Commission’s broad programmes and services to member States and sub-regional bodies in addressing environment and sustainable development priorities in Africa.
- It is open only to nationals of United Nations Economic Commission for Africa member states
- Fellows will receive a monthly stipend of USD 3,000. Fellows will be provided with a return air ticket between his/her country of residence and Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- The fellowship may be extended subject to the availability of funds and based on satisfactory performance
- Fellows cannot be employed on ECA or United Nations regular positions within six months of completion of a fellowship period.
- Fellows will have the opportunity to interact with Commission staff and gain exposure to the Commission’s cutting edge research on a variety of leading issues in African development;
- Fellows will work on a predefined project, designed to contribute to specific aspects of the work programme of the receiving section, the New Technologies and Innovation Section (NTIS). Terms of Reference for each fellowship assignment will be designed to guide the recruitment process.
Advanced university degree (Masters Degree or equivalent) in economics, sociology, management of technology,
technology and innovation policy, natural sciences, engineering, statistics, economic anthropology, sociology or a
related field, is required. A Ph.D. would be an advantage.
- Experience in research/analytical work in technology and innovation for development-related areas in the context of Africa, either in the academia or in private, public or civil society organizations, is required.
- Experience in undertaking impact assessment, cost benefit analysis, or cost effectiveness analysis of policies, strategies and plans, is an advantage.
- Experience in working with African institutions at national, sub-regional or regional level is an advantage.
Fluency in one of the working languages of the UN Secretariat, English or French, (both oral and written) is
required; knowledge of the other is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
HOW TO APPLY
Clearly indicating your preferred area of consideration (in the cover/application letter), please submit your application package ensuring it includes at a minimum: (1) A signed copy of application letter; (2) A signed copy of Personal History Profile (please download the P11 Form at
http://www.uneca.org/pages/vacancies; (3) A copy of your university degree(s) and Certification(s)
ALL SUBMISSIONS TO BE SENT TO:
Contact Name: Email Address: [email protected]
Subject Line: Ref. No. HRSS/14/03/0356