Application Deadline:27th November 2020
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is pleased to offer a mentorship programme for aspiring journalists. Refugees, internally displaced people or stateless people currently studying journalism, communications or a related field are welcome to apply. Best of luck!
The goal of this programme is to help refugees tell their stories – or any story that is important to them – to the world. Selected candidates will receive training and mentorship related to journalism, reporting and writing skills such as interviewing, pitching stories, and constructing a narrative.
The programme will bring together internal staff, external media partners and academics to help provide networking and training/educational opportunities during the course of the programme. The length of the programme is six months – although certain flexibility will be granted depending on the circumstances.
A successful candidate must
• Be a refugee, internally displaced, or stateless person
• Currently be enrolled in a tertiary education institution degree programme
• Have published at least one piece of non-fiction writing
• Be able to write/produce projects in English (we aim to include additional languages in future years)
• Be enthusiastic about sharing stories that shed light on important issues in the world today
- Limited funds to cover certain expenses (including but not limited to any travel-related costs, telephone or Internet costs incurred during reporting and costs related to accessing training sessions) will also be provided.
Deadline for applications: 27 November 2020
Announcement of successful candidates: 17 December 2020
Programme start date: 18 January 2021
– Please note that UNHCR works under the humanitarian principles of neutrality, independence and impartiality. Please keep that in mind when pitching your story idea.
– Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, most, if not all, of training and reporting will likely be done virtually.
– If you are unable to submit your application using this online form, we encourage you to email your responses and share any relevant attachments directly with [email protected].
For More Information: