Application Deadline: December 13, 2019
The University of British Columbia is pleased to partner with The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program to provide comprehensive scholarships to students from Sub-Saharan Africa. The Program provides access to education for academically talented, yet economically marginalized young people. Scholars in the Program have a demonstrated commitment to giving back to their communities and develop the leadership needed to contribute to social and economic transformation across the continent.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
To be eligible for consideration for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Masters’ Degree Program at UBC, the applicant must:
- have completed a Bachelor’s degree;
- must not already have a graduate or PhD degree;
- be a citizen or a refugee of a Sub-Saharan African country;
- have lived a significant part of their life in a Sub-Saharan African country
- present economically disadvantaged financial circumstances, and be able to show lack of financial means from family or other sources to pursue graduate education in their home country or elsewhere;
- have achieved academic excellence under difficult circumstances and show leadership qualities or potential;
- demonstrate an interest in and commitment to giving back to his/her home community in ways that enhance the economic growth and social development of Africa, through engagement in activities in their current profession, university or community;
- be applying for a Master’s degree in one of the following Faculties and programs at UBC’s Vancouver campus;
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Forestry
- Faculty of Land and Food Systems
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Science
- Sauder School of Business
- be a person who requires a Canadian study permit to study in Canada;
- commit to returning to Africa in order to apply their training and skills to the betterment of others.
Please note that the Mastercard Foundation Scholars program only covers expenses of the admitted scholars.
Please note that Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents are not eligible to apply for this award.
Please note that funds from the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at UBC cannot be applied to pursue programs at other academic institutions.
Step 1: Admissibility Submission: November 6, 2019
Step 2: Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Application December 13, 2019
Step 3: UBC Faculty Applications:
- Arts: January 2, 2020
- *Masters in Science Education (SCED) – December 1, 2019*
- Masters of Educational Administration and Leadership (EDAL) – January 2, 2020
- Masters of Higher Education (HIED) – January 2, 2020
- *Forestry: January 13, 2020*
- Land and Food Systems: January 2, 2020
- Medicine: January 2, 2020
- Science: January 2, 2020
- Sauder School of Business: January 2, 2020
These dates may vary from those posted on faculty websites. Please note that if you are applying for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at UBC, you must submit all your documents (including your reference letters) by the dates requested above.
*Applicants applying to these programs should consider the different deadlines. Late submissions will not be accepted.
Step One: Admissibility Submission
- Decide your Program(s) of Interest from the list.
- Consult the link/chart below identifying the Minimum Academic Requirements/International Credentials for Graduate Students, listed by country to determine your academic eligibility for the program and MCF.*Given that the number of applicants exceeds the number of positions available, a record that satisfies basic entrance requirements does not guarantee admission to graduate studies* https://www.grad.ubc.ca/prospective-students/application-admission/minimum-academic-requirements-international-credentials
- Consult the program website to determine if you possess the appropriate background experience.
- If you meet the minimum academic requirements and have the appropriate background, complete the eligibility verification form (at the bottom of this page) to verify your eligibility for the scholarship. We will accept and verify Admissibility Submissions until November 6th,2019.
For applicants interested in the Full-time MBA program, please contact the Sauder MBA Admission office at [email protected] to determine your eligibility.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the University of British Columbia Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program 2020/2021
Good day please do you not have for Masters in Human Resource Management?
Need more explanation and fully interested
please can i Know more about sauder school of business?
I can not find the Eligibilty Submission form at the bottom of the page
[…] Université de la Colombie-Britannique (UBC) est heureux de s’associer à la Fondation Mastercard pour encourager la prochaine génération de dirigeants africains. Le programme Mastercard Foundation Scholars de l’UBC permettra à 163 jeunes talentueux sur le plan académique mais économiquement défavorisés d’Afrique subsaharienne d’avoir accès à une éducation universitaire de qualité et pertinente à l’UBC. Après avoir obtenu leur diplôme, les chercheurs utiliseront ensuite leur apprentissage et leurs expériences pour contribuer à la croissance économique et à la transformation sociale de leurs communautés en Afrique. […]
[…] The University of British Columbia (UBC) is pleased to be partnering with The Mastercard Foundation to foster the next generation of African leaders. The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at UBC will provide 163 academically talented yet economically disadvantaged young people from Sub-Saharan Africa with access to quality and relevant university education at UBC. After graduating, the scholars will then utilize their learning and experiences to contribute to the economic growth and social transformation of their communities in Africa. […]