Application Deadline: February 3rd 2019
The Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) is a signature effort to invest in the next generation of African leaders. The need to invest in grooming strong, results-oriented leaders comes out of the statistics: nearly 1 in 3 Africans are between the ages of 10 and 24, and approximately 60% of Africa’s total population is below the age of 35.
Who will empower and lead these young Africans? Who will shape the future of business and entrepreneurship, civic leadership, and public management? In order to answer these questions, YALI promotes three models designed to identify and empower young leaders: the YALI Mandela Washington Fellowship, YALI Network, and now the establishment of Regional Leadership Centers across Africa.
The program is open to young African leaders aged 18 – 35 years old depending on their level of experience and track record in their chosen sector.
Participants must meet the following criteria:
- Age (18-35)
- English language proficiency
- Portuguese speaking participants will be accommodated in the Mozambique Hub at UEM
- A commitment to positively impact Africa, their own countries as well as communities
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities and interest in Public Management, Entrepreneurship Development and Civic Leadership
- Commitment to serve the development agenda of the African continent
Young leaders from the following countries are eligible to participate in the programme: Angola, Botswana, Comoros, Lesotho, Malawi, Madagascar, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
The RLC SA will primarily be based at the Unisa School of Business Leadership in Midrand, South Africa while the training for the Portuguese speaking participants will take place at Universidade Eduardo Mondlane in Maputo, Mozambique.
South African facilities
The facilities at the centre are modern. There are three lecture halls, collaboration rooms, office space, communal space, accommodation and catering facilities.
The training in Mozambique will take place at the Universidade Eduardo Mondlane in Maputo. There will be lecture halls, collaboration rooms, office space, communal space, accommodation and catering facilities.
Accommodation and travel during training
Accommodation and travel will be provided by RLC SA for successful participants.
Selection Process and Criteria
Selection for participation in the YALI RLC SA will be conducted by a selection panel which will use the following criteria to evaluate applications:
- A proven record of leadership in public service, business and entrepreneurship, or civic engagement. They can be new entrants in public and private service institutions looking to develop their leadership abilities.
- Proven record of knowledge, interest, and professional experience in the sector/track selected.
- Proven record of active engagement in public or community service, volunteerism, or mentorship.
- Selected participants applying for the contact session must be willing to travel to the RLC SA in Midrand, Johannesburg or Maputo for the duration of the program.
- A commitment to apply leadership skills and training to benefit your country and/or community after the program.
- Good interpersonal and communications skills
- Knowledge of youth leadership and development issues
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Demonstrate the ability to work in a small or large team setting
- Proven computer skills
- Cultural sensitivity
- Positive attitude
- Dedication, responsibility and reliability
Over and above, the intended beneficiaries of the program include the following:
- Rural based and economically disadvantaged communities
- Young leaders living with disabilities
- Young leaders in lusophone countries
- People who are HIV positive or who are living with AIDS
- Organisations that represent and advocate for the rights of LGBTI communities across the region
All applications will go through a stringent selection process which will be reviewed by a selection panel. The prospective applicants will be interviewed pending final selection to the program.
Applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, gender, religion, socio-economic status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the YALI Regional Leadership Center Southern Africa Residential Program 2019
Am interested in this program henceforth l think am the right person for this awesome program.Am a third year Law Student.
Good site. I wish Study with YALI. looking forward.