Empowerment Works is implementing a State Department public diplomacy program for emerging environmental leaders in Namibia and connecting them with peers in the U.S. The program will begin in fall 2022 and will run until July 2023.
The U.S.-Africa Green Leaders Academies are eight-month programs designed to train and connect emerging environmental leaders in the United States and Africa. With the generous funding from the Department of State, via the U.S. embassy in Namibia, we are convening 30 U.S. university students (virtual program) and 30 Namibian university students (virtual and in-person program) for eight months of environmental leadership training and collaboration.
The program will include the following elements:
- November 2022-January 2023 – Online Green Leaders Academy – preparing emerging youth leaders to understand key environmental issues, develop their leadership skills, and learn how to use the civic engagement to effectively address environmental challenges.
- February-March 2023 – Specialized training on wildlife conservation.
- March-June 2023 – Community projects in Namibia implemented by students in-country with virtual support from the U.S. students.
- June-July 2023 – Community presentations in Namibia.
U.S. and Namibian students who enroll in the program will be expected to join the complete the following activities:
- Complete approximately 20 hours of program content and assignments between November and January. Most of the course will be asynchronous.
- Complete approximately 10 hours of program content and assignments between February and March.
- Join 1-2 monthly calls with your team from November 2022-June 2023.
- Collaborate with your team from March-June 2023 to research, design, implement, and evaluate a community project meant to address an environmental challenge related to wildlife conservation in Namibia.
The benefits of enrolling in the program include:
- Developing a global network of potential environmental leaders.
- Access to world-class environmental leadership training.
- Building tangible career skills and knowledge.
- Recognition as a Department of State program participant.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the Youth Wildlife Conservation Program 2022