Deadline for Applications:31 October 2013, 24h00 GMT
The Innovation Prize for Africa is an initiative of the African Innovation Foundation (AIF) started in 2011. IPA honours and encourages innovative achievements that contribute toward developing new products, increasing efficiency or saving cost in Africa.
Specifically, the award targets technological breakthroughs in such main concern areas as manufacturing and service industry, health and well-being,agriculture and agribusiness, environment, energy and water and ICTs.
The IPA 2014 competition focuses on five priority areas, namely manufacturing and service industry, health and well-being, agriculture and agribusiness, environment, energy and water and ICTs.
In an effort to drive African-led development, the IPA invites African entrepreneurs and innovators to propose projects that unlock new African potential under one of five categories which include:
1) agriculture and agribusiness;
2) environment, energy and water;
3) health and wellbeing;
4) ICT applications; and
5) manufacturing and services industries.
IPA 2014 consists of three prizes:
- USD 100,000 for the winner with the best innovation based on marketability, originality, scalability, social impact, utility/technical aspect and clear business potentials
- USD 25,000 for the runner-up with the best commercial/business potential and
- USD 25,000 for the Special Prize for Social Innovation with the highest social impact in the community/country.
The registration deadline for the 2014 prize has been set for 31 October 2013. For detailed information of competition categories, conditions of entry, and submission procedures, please visit innovationprizeforafrica.org and review the detailed call for application prior to applying.
The IPA is focused on recognizing innovative breakthroughs to unlock new African potential. If you are an entrepreneur, academic or inventor with an innovation that could potentially provide an African solution to some of the continent’s every day challenges, apply now!
DEADLINE: 31 October 2013 at 24h00 GMT
- Eligible innovations must be by Africans for Africa. Africans in the Diaspora can also apply if their innovations are of significance for Africa. The innovation or associated business must be registered in Africa.
- A fully completed application form with a full description of the innovation must accompany each submission; otherwise the entry will be disqualified.
- The innovation description should clearly illustrate the social and/or economic outcome and impact with regard to African development and the priority area chosen, and should be in line with the IPA assessment and selection criteria.
- Application forms and description of the innovation should be in English or French. While the innovations can be conducted in any language including local languages, the submissions should be translated into English or French.
- Applicants are required to attach a letter of support/endorsement from an institution or an authority with knowledge of their innovation. This will serve as a testimony of how important the innovation is in addressing development challenges faced by Africans.
- Each question on the application form must be answered or the application will be deemed incomplete and disqualified.
- There is no application fee.
2. Download the application form in English or in French and send the completed form and all the required attachments by email.
3. Send your application to the following mailing address:
African Innovation Foundation
Attn. Innovation Prize for Africa (IPA)
CH 8001 Zurich
For additional instructions and details, please download PDF
For any questions regarding the IPA application process, please check first the website and if you still have questions then contact the IPA Secretariat:
Ms. Pauline Mujawamariya, Program Director
Telephone: +41 44 515 54 66 or +41 44 515 54 60
Note: We highly recommend submitting your application online. However, we also accept applications by mail. Applicants sending their applications by mail are responsible for ensuring that their applications have been received by 31 October 2013.
Closing Date: The closing date for IPA 2014 is 31 October 2013 at 24:00 GMT. Any application received after the closing date will not be considered.
For More Information: