Application Deadline: August 2nd 2013
Places available for 30 self funded African youth to attend UNECA- ICPD Regional African youth pre-meeting
As part of the on-going review of the ICPD Programme of Action for 2014 and beyond, the Regional Population Conference is being planned by the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa together with other partners in September 2013 in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Following the success of the Bali Global Youth Forum and the resounding outcome of that process, it is important that young people from across Africa have an opportunity to discuss in greater details the issues and recommendations that are most relevant to them in relation to the ICPD and Post 2015 development agenda.
As part of the review process, there will be a Youth Pre-Conference to the African Population Conference which is an official part of the main conference and its outcome will be presented to both the Experts Meeting and the Ministerial Meeting. A number of young people have been selected through national consultations with relevant stakeholders to participate in the Youth Pre-Conference to the African Population Conference. In addition to this, the Africa ICPD Youth Steering Committee is sending this call out for self-funded youth-led and youth focused organizations to express their interest. There will be about 30 spots allocated to self-funded participants.
We expect participants in the Youth Pre-Conference to be:
- A leader, or emerging leader, currently working at national, regional or global level in an area that contributes to the ICPD Programme of Action;
- Working in a paid or voluntary capacity for a civil society organisation engaged in policy development at national and local levels;
- Working in a paid or voluntary capacity for organizations that have a demonstrable national and/or international reach and mandate;
- Able to demonstrate outstanding youth advocacy and networking capabilities with concrete examples of achievements in these areas in different contexts;
- Below the age of 35 with special emphasis on youth under 25 years and youth from vulnerable groups
When considering candidates for the youth pre-conference, the Youth Steering Committee will take into account the following key knowledge, skills, awareness and values:
- A commitment to the values of ICPD
- Leadership experience
- Innovation in the arena of policy development and application
- Desire to contribute to and improve the leadership potential for the civil society sector
- Willingness to learn and share
- Eagerness to lead debate and discussions during the youth pre-conference
- Commitment to follow up activities
- Track record of achievement/work in ICPD and the Post 2015 development Agenda
- Proof of availability of funding for youth pre-conference participation
We therefore invite interested organizations and individuals (young people) to submit Letters of Interests to participate in the youth pre-conference to the Africa Population Conference.
Selected self-funded participants will have to cater for their flights, accommodation and living costs. Snacks, lunch and conference materials will be provided by the organizers. Please send your expression of interest to be considered for one of the 30 spots for self funded participants to the Youth Steering Committee by sending us your:
- Name of Sponsoring Organisation
- Name of Participating Organisation(if different from 1 above)
- Name of Representative and short biography.
Please send this information to email@example.com no later than 2nd August, 2013.