Application Deadline: July 28 2014
The National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq) in Brasilia, Brazil, and TWAS offer up to 50 (30 sandwich and 20 full time) postgraduate fellowships each year to young scientists from developing countries (other than Brazil) who wish to pursue research towards a PhD in natural sciences.
TWAS-CNPq Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable at research institutions in Brazil for a period of up to four years and are awarded to students from developing countries (other than Brazil) to enable them to pursue all or part (SANDWICH or FULL-TIME) of their research leading towards a PhD degree in the natural sciences.
The academic year in Brazil usually begins on 1 March and the second semester in early August of each year. Candidates will enrol for their PhD at the host institution and must observe the academic calendar of the host institution, i.e. be ready to start their Fellowship on the first day of classes/courses (most likely in Portuguese).
CNPq will provide a standard monthly allowance which should be used to cover
- living costs, such as accommodation, food and health insurance.
- The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency.
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- Be at most 35 years old on 31 December 2014.
- Hold a university degree in the Natural Sciences (minimum Master’s degree).
- Have good command of Portuguese and/or Spanish and/or English.
- Be a national of a developing country other than Brazil.
- Must not hold a visa for permanent or temporary residency in Brazil or in a developed country.
- Be officially enrolled as a PhD student in the home country for at least 1 (one) year by the date of the application.
- Provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship.
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship.
- Provide an official acceptance letter from the host institution (please refer to the sample that will be available here http://www.cnpq.br/web/guest/chamadas-publicas) and be willing to register for a PhD degree in the natural sciences at a participating CAPES-listed Brazilian institution
Submitting your application
- Applications to the TWAS-CNPq Fellowships must be submitted online only.
- The call for applications where you will find the programme details, eligibility criteria, required documents and certificates as well as the online application form is available here http://www.cnpq.br/web/guest/chamadas-publicas
- Applicants must be aware that CNPq and TWAS will not accept applications submitted by any other means except via the online application form.
- The call for applications for 2014 is currently open and will remain open until 28 July 2014. No applications will be accepted after the deadline.
For More Information: