Deadline: March 1st 2014
The Knight-Bagehot Fellowship in Economics and Business Journalism offers qualified journalists the opportunity to enhance their understanding and knowledge of business, economics and finance in a year-long, full-time program administered by the journalism school.
Fellows take courses at Columbia’s graduate schools of journalism, business, law and international affairs; participate in off-the-record seminars and dinner meetings with corporate executives, economists and academics; and attend briefings and field trips to New York-based media companies and financial institutions.
- The fellowship is open to full-time editorial employees of newspapers, magazines, wire services, and broadcast news organizations as well as to freelance journalists.
- Applicants must have at least four years’ experience.
- There are no academic prerequisites.
- Though some attempt is made to achieve a diversity of backgrounds, the affiliation of applicants is not a factor in the selection process
- . Journalists from nationally known organizations are not given preference over those from smaller regional media.
The chief criterion for selection is demonstrated journalistic excellence. While essays and letters of recommendation are important parts of the application, the greatest weight is given to work samples. Clippings and tapes need not cover business subjects, and applicants do not have to be business specialists.
Submit a completed application form along with:
- A professional resume
- An autobiographical essay describing your journalistic accomplishments and your future plans
- An essay of less than 1,000 words on a business or economic trend
- Four original samples of work produced during the last five years
- College or university transcript(s)
- Three letters of reference from persons in a position to comment on your professional performance and potential for covering business and economic news
All materials, including letters of reference, college transcripts, essays and work samples, should be compiled and submitted with a completed application form to:
Director, Knight-Bagehot Fellowship
Graduate School of Journalism, Columbia University
2950 Broadway, New York, NY 10027
For More Information: