Application Deadline: September 7 2014
The programme not only trains young, future managers from Sub-Saharan Africa on-site with German companies, but is also directed at forming stable cooperative partnerships for the future. In the framework of the third year, 2013-15, some of the participating companies, for instance, SAP AG and MERck KG aA, have decided to host more than one AFRIKA KOMMT! participant.
Leading German enterprises founded the initiative “Afrika kommt!” (“Africa is coming!”) in the year 2008-the very first joint-initiative for capacity building by German industry. After the success of the first three program cycles, the fourth.
The Ebelin and Gerd Bucerius ZEIT Foundation and the Robert Bosch Foundation Fellowship support the international programme as cooperation partners. Ebelin and Gerd Bucerius ZEIT Foundation GIZ, has been commissioned by the companies to organise and implement the programme.
Candidates need to fulfil the following formal eligibleity requirements:
- University degree in a relevant subject (please see individual company profiles below)
- Postgraduate degree (e.g. MBA) an advantage
- Two to five years of relevant work experience
- Excellent English language skills
- Basic knowledge of the German language an advantage
- Not older than 35 years and physically fit
- Female candidates are welcome
- The Afrika kommt! fellowship program aims at highly qualified, self-driven young professionals and junior executives from Sub-Saharan
- Africa with several years of hands-on work experience, strong leadership qualities and a very high level of commitment and dedication benefits for both sides
- At the heart of the Afrika kommt! fellowship program is a nine-month practical training in a leading German enterprise benefiting both, fellows and partner companies-a classic win-win situation:
The program fellows benefit through
- gaining first-hand practical experience in a leading German enterprise
- being exposed to leadership concepts and management techniques in practice
- becoming acquainted with working processesand business culture in German enterprises
- extending their international management competencies
- initiating networks of cooperation partners between Sub -Saharan Africa and German companies
The partner companies benefit through
- establishing networks of cooperation and trust in promising future markets in Sub-Saharan Africa
- extending their experience with the working and business culture in Sub- Saharan Africa
- improving their knowledge about cultures, markets, count ries etc. in Sub-Saharan Africa
After three program years a significant number of the participants now work in the branch office of theirrespective partner company in Africa.
The Afrika kommt! fellowship program includes:Language course
- An intensive, home-based German language course of one month
- An intensive German language course in Germany of three months including fees, accommodation and living allowanceTravelling expenses -Flights, Visa etc.
- Visa for Germany for one- year as well as for preparatory session and refresher course in Africa
- Roundtrip airfare from your home town to Germany and back
- Travel to preparatory session
- Travel to refresher course and back
- Program-related travelling expenses in Germany
Monthly living allowance
- Monthly living allowance of 750,-EUR during the stay in Germany
- One-off relocation fee of € 1.000,- for settling back into the home countries
- Accommodation during all stages of the program in Germany (including internet allowance, electricity,water and other charges) Insurance
- Health, accident and liability insurance Trainings
- International management training courses
- Study tour and weekend seminars in Germany
How to apply:If you want to apply for the fourth Afrika kommt! intake from 2014-2016, please make sure you follow the four
steps listed below:
- Check the general candidate requirements–do you fit the criteria?
- Check the available placements and required profiles of the 4. intake of Afrika kommt! 2014-2016
–Please remember you are applying for the program in general, not a specific placement
Step 3 :
- Visit www.afrika-kommt.de and fill in the application form
- Submit your application BEFORE 7.9.2014, 23.59h CET–applications submitted after this date cannot be considered