When: August 9-15th 2015
Where: Johannesburg South Africa
THEME: “AU AGENDA 2063 AND POST-2015 SDGS: INVESTING IN AFRICA’S YOUTH FOR PEACE AND DEVELOPMENT”
The African Youth and Governance Conference (AYGC) started in 2009 in Accra Ghana with the aim of engaging young people in governance and policies of concern to them. The AYGC targets youth aged 18–35 years and anchored on the three AYG pillars of Policy, Participation and Mobilization
Africa’s premier youth conference bringing youth from across Africa and beyond together to discuss issues affecting the continent’s development.
Building on the themes and outcomes of previous African Youth and Governance Conferences (AYGCs) held annually from 2009 to 2014, the 7th AYGC, Johannesburg 2015 will provide a platform for the young participants to interrogate critical continental and global issues of relevance to youth development in Africa under the conference broad theme “AU Agenda 2063 and Post-2015 SDGs: Investing in Africa’s human capital for peace and development”.
SPECIAL FOCAL AREAS FOR AYGC2015
- AU AGENDA 2063
The adoption of the AU Agenda 2063 calls for collective effort and provides an opportunity for Africa to reshape its destiny. Given that Agenda 2063 is a fifty-year vision, it is imperative to raise the awareness and interest of young people in the implementation of the plan which has seven “African Aspirations” serving as its basis.
- POST-2015 AGENDA
The Post-2015 Sustainable Development Goals seek to build on the Millennium Development Goals which end in December 2015. With Africa being on record as failing to achieve most of the MDG targets, it is critical to mobilize and invest in the continent’s youth to ensure their contribution to, and effective monitoring of the implementation and achievement of development targets.
Key selection criteria
Key selection criteria
1. Must be national of an African country and between the ages of 18 and 35 years.
2. Participating in the African Youth and Governance Conference is open only to members of the Youth Bridge Alliance
Click here if you are not a member: http://bit.ly/1KL5N0U
3. Previous participation in the African Youth and Governance Conference (AYGC), Euro African Youth Parliament (EAYP) or other youth focused events.
4. Participants will be selected based on the written motivational statement and short essays
5. Participants should have good research, writing and public speaking skills
6. Participants should be affiliated with a youth focused organization/institution such as academic/educational institutions, research institutions, NGOs, CBOs, etc.
7. Each delegate will be placed in one of the ten (10) committees with the responsibility to research on given questions/topics, discuss their findings at the committee level, develop solutions in the form of a resolution and defend this in the General Assembly Debates. –
8. The conference fee is $500. This full package covers, accommodation for six (6) nights, all meals for the entire conference period, conference materials and other conferencing logistics. See more at: http://bit.ly/1Fxx9t3
Interested applicants can apply for one of the following positions once applications are opened.
- Committee Members (100 slots): Each delegate will be placed in one of the ten (10) committees with the responsibility to research on given questions/topics, discuss their findings at the committee level, develop solutions in the form of a resolution and defend this in the General Assembly Debates.
- Committee Chairpersons (20 slots): Serving as facilitators to the discussions, Committee Chairs will be the crucial leaders in the committees who will apply sound leadership and coordination skills to ensure fruitful discussions in their respective committees. Ultimately, it will be the duty of Committee Chairs to have the best possible resolutions as outcome of successful topic interrogation and deliberations at the Committee level. Each Committee will have two Co-Chairs, working together for to achieve stated results.
For More Information: