Deadline: January 21st 2013
OneBeat is an international cultural exchange that celebrates the transformative power of the arts through the creation of original, inventive music, and people-to-people diplomacy. In the fall of 2013, 25 musicians (ages 19-35) from around the world will come together in the U.S. for four weeks to collaboratively write, produce, and perform original music, and develop ways that music can make a positive impact on our local and global communities
OneBeat is divided into two segments, a residency and a tour.
- During the residency, OneBeat Fellows will spend two weeks at the Atlantic Center for the Arts in central Florida, immersed in a process of collaborative music creation and experimentation.
- During the two-week tour, OneBeat ensembles will collaborate with local musicians to give public performances and lead workshops with youth and community groups. OneBeat Fellows will also work with a diverse group of expert Collaborating Artists—including luminaries of classical music, hip-hop, jazz and more—to develop and deepen the scope of their collaborative work.
Applicants must be residents and citizens of the following countries: Bangladesh, Bolivia, Burma, Cambodia, China, Czech Republic, Democratic Republic of Congo, Denmark, Egypt, Haiti, Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Israel, Jamaica, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Mozambique, Nigeria, Norway, Pakistan, Palestinian Territories, Panama, Philippines, Poland, Russia, Senegal, South Africa, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Tunisia, United States, Venezuela, Vietnam.
OneBeat is open to musicians ages 19-35.
Important Information for Applicants:
- All musical backgrounds are welcome. Musicians from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply, with or without formal musical training, from all genres, including but not limited to: hip hop, traditional, experimental, electronic, jazz, classical, sound design, beat-making, multimedia art, or any combination of these styles. In additional to full-time professional musicians, we also invite adventurous musicians who double as community organizers, instrument builders, writers, videographers, musicologists, educators, storytellers, dancers, shadow-puppeteers, and more.
- Collaboration is central. OneBeat offers musicians the opportunity to collaborate on new projects, and to explore new musical traditions. Rather than showcasing solo talent, OneBeat musicians will work together across across stylistic and cultural divides in the pursuit of new musical possibilities.
- OneBeat is socially engaged. We are looking for musicians who have a strong commitment to their communities and who are seeking new ways to engage in youth development, music education, music therapy, conflict resolution, and other ways of working towards more egalitarian and democratic societies.
- OneBeat is a FREE program! (but not a paying gig) The OneBeat program covers all Fellows’ travel, transportation, food, and lodging costs. We also offer a modest stipend. While we are not able to pay performance fees, OneBeat offers Fellows visibility, along with a chance to create new material, establish lifelong musical partnerships, learn new marketable skills, and develop professional connections.
click here to Begin your Application for the 2013 OneBeat Fellowship Programme
Applications for the fall 2013 program are due by 5:00 PM (Eastern Standard Time, USA) January 21, 2013.
Applicants will be notified of the review panel decision by May 1, 2013.
If you have questions about the application, please contact [email protected]