Application Deadline: December 1st 2015
The International Fellowship program has been in existence since 1917. The program provides support for women pursuing full-time graduate or postdoctoral study in the United States who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
Preference is given to women who show prior commitment to the advancement of women and girls through civic, community, or professional work.
To be eligible for an International Fellowship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Have citizenship in a country other than the United States or possession of a nonimmigrant visa if residing in the United States. Women holding dual citizenship in the United States and another country are not eligible.
- Hold an academic degree (earned in the United States or abroad) equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree completed by September 30, 2015.
- Intend to devote herself full-time to the proposed academic plan during the fellowship year
- Intend to return to her home country to pursue a professional career
- Be proficient in English.
- Master’s/first professional degree and doctoral applicants must have applied by December 1, 2015, to an accredited institution of study for the period of the fellowship year and must indicate the name of the institution in the International Fellowship application.
- Master’s/first professional degree fellowships are intended for master’s or professional degree-level programs such as J.D., M.F.A., L.L.M., M.Arch., or medical degrees such as M.D., D.D.S., etc.
- Doctoral fellowships are intended for doctorate degrees, such as Ph.D. or Ed.D.
- Postdoctoral applicants must provide proof of their doctorate degree; hold a doctorate classified as a research degree (e.g., Ph.D., Ed.D., D.B.A., M.D.) or an M.F.A. by December 1, 2015; and indicate where they will conduct their research.
- Master’s/first professional degree and doctoral applicants must be enrolled in a U.S. accredited institution located in the United States during the fellowship year.
Up to five International Fellowships for master’s/first professional degrees will be renewable for a second year; renewal instructions will be provided to fellows during their fellowship year.
- Master’s/first professional degree: $18,000
- Doctoral: $20,000
- Postdoctoral: $30,000
International Fellowship funds are available for
- Educational expenses
- Living expenses
- Dependent child care
- Travel to professional meetings, conferences, or seminars, as long as it does not exceed 10 percent of the fellowship
Deadline for online submission of application and supporting documentsApril 15, 2016
Notification of decisions e-mailed to all applicants. AAUW is not able to honor requests for earlier notification.
July 1, 2016–June 30, 2017
For More Information: