Application Deadline: November 15, 2014
The Aspen Institute seeks nominations for one-year non-resident media skills and coaching program for next generation of global development leaders from the developing world
The Aspen Institute’s New Voices Fellowship initiative, supported by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, offers development experts from Africa and other parts of the developing world a year-long program of media support, training, research, and writing under the guidance of experienced mentors and trainers.
- While the fellowship is non-resident and not full-time, it does require a significant and sustained time commitment as fellows write opinion articles, participate in interviews with local and international media, and speak at international conferences.
- All expenses related to the fellowship are paid, including certain media-related travel costs.
- Candidates for the 12 Fellowships awarded each year must be experts in fields relating to global development, ranging from global health and food security to governance, education and social entrepreneurship. Fellows must be from a developing country, and ideally work and live in their country of origin or another developing country.
- Over the course of a year, the Fellowship works to prepare and support Fellows to become recognized thought leaders, helping amplify their insights and ideas rooted in experience on the ground.
- They will be given training and support to speak at major events; write conversation-starting op-eds and think pieces for major outlets; and create social media platforms.
- The Fellowship is non-resident, but includes travel to training workshops as well as opportunities for travel to select international conferences.
- Ask someone to nominate you. This person could be a mentor, supervisor or professor. We ask that this person know you and your work well.
- Aspen Institute will review your nomination. If you pass through the first round, Aspen Institute will be in touch with you directly, asking you to submit an application.This application involves two essays and a series of questions.
- Once the New Voices team has reviewed applications, we will ask a small group of finalists to participate in an interview via Skype or phone. From this group, we will choose the final class of Fellows.
For More Information: