Application Deadline: June 30 2015
The BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Awards is an international award scheme recognizing significant contributions in the areas of scientific research and cultural creation
The BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Awards are intended to recognize basic research and creative work of excellence, as embedded in theoretical advances, models and fundamental perspectives for an improved understanding of the natural, social and artificial or technological worlds, technological innovations and developments, and the creation of outstanding works or new artistic or interpretative styles in contemporary classical music.
Awards also go to significant achievements that advance our understanding or deliver material progress with regard to two key challenges of the global society of the 21st century: climate change and development cooperation.
Awards will be granted in eight prize categories, spanning three domains.
- First, scientific and technological research in the areas of Basic Sciences, Biomedicine, Ecology and Conservation Biology, Information and Communication Technologies, and Economics, Finance and Management.
- Second, the creation, direction or performance of works of contemporary classical music.
- Third, scientific research and/or projects that represent significant advances in two core concerns of the 21st century: climate change and development cooperation.
- Basic Sciences (Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics)
- Ecology and Conservation Biology
- Information and Communication Technologies
- Economics, Finance and Management
- Contemporary Music
- Climate Change
- Development Cooperation
- Candidates shall be one or more natural persons of any nationality, without limitation of number in the case of convergent contributions to a given advance, whether due to a formal collaboration (with the candidate(s) belonging to one or more groups) or parallel working.
- In categories 7 and 8, entries are also open to agencies and organizations in the public or private sector (not-for-profit in the latter case) under the conditions stipulated in the preceding paragraph, providing their institutional or organizational purpose is to undertake activities relating to climate change or development cooperation.
- Awards may not be granted posthumously.
Nominations shall in all cases be indirect.
Nominations will be accepted from the following organizations and institutions working in the knowledge areas covered in each category, in the person of their office holders or governing bodies and according to their own internal procedures:
- Scientific or artistic societies or organizations
- National or regional academies of the sciences or the arts
- Public or private R&D centers
- University departments and schools and university or research institutes
- Hospital departments and biomedical research centers
- Science museums
- Conservatories and schools of music
- Scholarly music and musicology journals
- Orchestras and orchestra associations
- Radio and television broadcasters running symphony or chamber orchestras
- Public agencies and international, national or regional organizations substantially engaged in analysis and/or activities relating to climate change and development cooperation
All nominations should be submitted through the website of the BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Awards: www.fbbva.es/awards.
Both nominations and the accompanying documentation must be submitted in English only.
The nominating institution or person must provide the following information and documents, which are detailed more fully in the dedicated website mentioned above:
- Award category for which the candidate is being nominated.
- Name of the institution and nominating officer/body, with the corresponding contact data.
- Letter of nomination signed by the nominating officer/body.
- Candidate particulars including his/her institutional affiliation.
- A description of the salient contributions of the candidate and reasoned arguments for his/her nomination (maximum four pages, single spaced).
- Candidate’s CV.
The BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Awards will be decided before February 28, 2016.
The awards will be presented at a formal ceremony, to be held in Madrid during the month of June, 2016.
For More Information: