Deadline: 29 January 2015 (17:00 GMT)
The Commonwealth Foundation awards funding for sustainable development projects that contribute to effective, responsive and accountable governance with civil society participation.
- Open to civil society organisations (CSOs)
- Up to £30,000 per year
- Multi-year funding available (up to three years)
- Delivered in Commonwealth Foundation eligible member countries
Areas of focus
Grant projects must focus on one or more of the following:
- Strengthening the ability of CSOs to use creative expression for participatory governance
- Enhancing the capacity of CSOs, networks and alliances to engage in participatory governance
- Facilitating interaction and constructive engagement in governance
- Building a culture of learning and knowledge sharing
Grant projects are encouraged to integrate one or more of the following cross-cutting themes in their design:
- Gender equality
- Environmental sustainability
- Cultural respect and understanding
To be eligible for a grant, the following criteria must be met:
- The applicant is a registered national or regional civil society organisation (CSO)
- The applicant is seeking £30,000 per year or less.
- The applicant is applying for funding for 1 to 3 years
- The average of the applicant’s total income over the last 2 years is less than £3m
- The project must contribute to achieving at least one of the Commonwealth Foundation’s areas of focus
- The project will take place in an eligible Commonwealth Foundation member country
- The project has not yet started
- The application includes counterpart resourcing2 of a minimum of 10% of the total project budget. Applicants will be required to provide a detailed budget at full application stage where counterpart resourcing must be clearly reflected.
- The applicant does not have an existing grant from the Commonwealth Foundation at the time the call for proposals is announced. Please note that in order for a recent grantee to be eligible they must have submitted all reports on existing grants and received notification that the existing grant is closed.
The Commonwealth Theme
The Commonwealth Theme unifies celebrations taking place on Commonwealth Day, and provides a focus for further Commonwealth activities during Commonwealth Week and the coming year. The Commonwealth Foundation’s Grants Programme is supportive of the 2015 Commonwealth Theme – “A Young Commonwealth.” The theme recognises the capacity, contribution and potential of young people, particularly in 2015 when the world will define a new global development framework.
How to apply
To apply applicants will need to complete an online application form.
Before submitting your application form, please read the following annexes available on our website:
- Annex 1 – List of eligible Commonwealth Foundation member countries
- Annex 2 – Preliminary application form questions
- Annex 3 – The value of results chains and logic models
- Annex 4 – Logic model template
For More Information: