- For Undergraduate Program, the Korean Embassy or Consulate will recommend qualified candidates to NIIED by November 2014. Be sure to apply before this period.
- For the Graduate Program, the Korean Embassy or Consulate will recommend qualified candidates to NIIED by March 2015. Be sure to apply before this period.
- Must be a citizen of the country to which the scholarship is offered, which also applies to the applicants’ parents
- Have graduated or will be scheduled to graduate from high school as of March 1st of the invitation year
- Must possess above 80% (out of 100%) cumulative grade point average (CGPA), or must be within the top 20% (out of 100%) in rank in high school.
- Master’s course 1 year of Korean language + 2 years of Master’s course
- Doctoral course 1 year of Korean language + 3 years of Doctoral course
Qualification for Graduate Programme
- The applicant and his/her parents must hold foreign citizenships.
* Applicants who hold Korean citizenship are not permitted to apply for this program.
- Applicants must be under 40 years of age of the selection year.
- Applicants must hold a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree as of September 1st of the selection year.
* Applicants who have previously enrolled in or graduated from an undergraduate program, a master’s program, or a doctoral program (including exchange program) in Korea are ineligible to apply for the program.
- Applicants must maintain a grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.64 on a 4.0 scale, 2.80 on a 4.3 scale, 2.91 on a 4.5 scale, or grades/marks/score of 80%(out of 100%) or higher from the previously attended institution. If the applicant does not satisfy the above GPA requirements, he/she will be ineligible to apply to this program.
Eligible African Countries:
Algeria, Angola,Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central Africa Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo , Cote d’Ivoire, DR Congo, Djibouti , Egypt , Equatorial Guinea , Eritrea , Ethiopia , Gabon , Gambia , Ghana , Guinea , Guinea-Bissau , Kenya
Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar , Malawi Mali , Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco , Mozambique, Namibia , Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda
Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda
- 1st round of selection
Korean Embassies will recruit and select qualified candidates
* Applicants should apply for the program THROUGH their local Korean Embassy
- 2nd round of selection
NIIED selection committee will screen qualified candidates selected by the Korean Embassies
- 3rd round of selection
Korean Universities will screen candidates for admission
- [Graduate Program]
- 1st Selection
- The 1st selection institutions (Overseas Korean embassies or Domestic designated universities) will draft a selections standard based on the criteria provisioned by NIIED, and will recommend qualified applicants according to its respective standards.
- 2nd Selection
- The NIIED selection committee will select the most successful candidates from the pool of applicants recommended by the 1st selection institutions.
- 3rd Selection
- Only candidates who were recommended by a Korean embassy and have passed the 2nd selection successfully will be evaluated for admission. Successful candidates will gain admission from at least one of the three universities.
- [Undergraduate Program]
- – Round-trip economy class airfare
- – Monthly Stipend (800,000 won)
- – Medical insurance (20,000 won) per month will be provided (limited coverage)
- – Settlement Allowance (200,000 won upon arrival)
- – Tuitions
* Additionally, grantees with a good command of the Korean language (level 5 or higher in TOPIK) will receive an additional 100,000 won
- Airfare Round-trip economy class ticket
- Monthly Allowance 900,000 won (KRW) per month
- Research Allowance Per Semester 210,000 won for scholars in the field of humanities and social sciences; 240,000 won for scholars in natural and mechanic sciences
- Relocation (Settlement) : Allowance 200,000 won upon arrival
- Language Training Fee : Full coverage
- Tuitions : All admission fees are waived by the host institution (university) The tuition will be provided for by NIIED
- Dissertation Printing Costs : 500,000 ~ 800,000 won, depending on actual costs
- Medical Insurance: 20,000 won per month will be provided (limited coverage)
- Special funding for scholars who are proficient in the Korean language (TOPIK Level 5 or 6) : 100,000 won per month
How to Apply:
- Applicants can only apply for the scholarships through the Korean Embassy in their home country or a participating Korean University.
- Click Here to Visit the websites of Korean Embassy/Consulate in your own country.
For More Information: