Application Deadline: October 1st 2014
The Nordic Africa Institute, which encourages research and studies on Africa in the Nordic countries, invites applications for a number of one-month scholarships to facilitate use of the Institute’s library. The scholarships cover travel expenses to and from Uppsala and include a shared office and free accommodation at Gästhem Samariten, centrally located in Uppsala.
Who can apply?
- Students pursuing Africa-oriented studies within the fields of social sciences and humanities at universities and colleges in the Nordic countries (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden) are eligible candidates for these scholarships, regardless of citizenship.
- A basic academic degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent degree) is required.
- The scholarships are also intended for Africa-oriented journalists and textbook writers in the Nordic countries.
The purpose of the Study Scholarships
The primary purpose of the scholarships is to offer the scholarship holders a one-month stay at the Nordic Africa Institute in order to facilitate use of the Institute’s library collections on contemporary Africa (books, periodicals, newspapers, and government publications)
Financial support and other benefits:
- The scholarships cover travelling expenses for the least expensive fare from residential address in a Nordic country to Uppsala and return.
- The scholarship holders are provided with a desk and computer in a shared office and free accommodation at Gästhem Samariten, a hostel centrally located in Uppsala.
- The scholarships also include a subsistence allowance of SEK 150 per day and free photocopying up to a maximum of 1,000 copies.
Deadline for application
The study scholarships are awarded once per year and the applications must be in by 1 October 2014 (for a scholarship in 2015).
The application should contain 2 copies of
• Completed application form
• Detailed plan of the project
The scholarships do not include health care insurance or other insurances