Application Deadline: April 17 2015
Power Africa — an initiative to increase the number of people with access to power in sub-Saharan Africa. To help shed light and their perspective on the role Power Africa and energy innovation are playing to increase access to power in Africa. Power Africa is aking its partners, colleagues, and implementers to show the world the faces, places, and moments that epitomize Power Africa.
- Send in your best photos for a chance to be featured in Power Africa’s exhibition space at one of the world’s leading energy conference for the African Energy Forum as well as to commemorate the opening of Power Africa’s headquarter offices in Pretoria, South Africa.
- Winning photos will also be used in Power Africa and USAID publications, events, conferences, and exhibits.
- All submitted photos will be featured on Power Africa social media, websites and literature and/or other Power Africa partners’ discretion (photographs will be credited where appropriate).
To submit a photo, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the required information and the attached photo(s).
Submitted photos should serve to answer one of the following questions:
- Impact What does energy and energy innovation look like in practice?
- Change How does access to electricity change a human life or an ecosystem (government, community, organization)?
- New Model How is Power Africa’s approach different?
- Partnership What does energy look like when we work together in partnership through Power Africa?
This contest is open to everyone. Employees of the US Government, its partners and contractors may also participate.
- Be high-resolution, high quality photos that are at least 1024 pixels or larger (tall or wide) or around 300 pixels per inch or 120 pixels per centimeter. Please send us the highest resolution version of the photo you have (at least 1 MB). If you are using Photoshop, please send only level 7 or higher compressed photos.
- Be high quality JPG and JPEG
- Be an original submission (submitted by photographer or with permission) and not previously submitted to a USAID photo contest. Submissions with a logo or time stamp visible on top of the photo will not be accepted.
- Include a credit: name of photographer and organizational affiliation (if applicable)
- Include a unique, robust caption (in English), which includes a description of what is going on in the photo, who is involved, where it was taken, and how it is a part of or relates to Power Africa.
- Seek to answer one of the above questions and “tell the story” of Power Africa and its accomplishments by accentuating depth, directing the viewers toward our subjects and hinting at the larger story of their lives and details help tell the story of the environments that our partners and beneficiaries live in.
- March 20 – April 17: Submissions: Photos may be submitted.
- April 20 – April 24: Internal Vetting: By April 24, a selection of finalists will be selected by the Power Africa Communication team. Photos will be selected based on:
- Photo Quality
- Relevance to Power Africa themes above (e.g. Impact, Change, New Model, and/or Partnership)
- Ability to answer the photo prompt
- April 24 – April 30: Judging: Power Africa partners will have the opportunity to vote for their favorite photo.
- Announcement of Winners: On May 1st, eight winners will be announced
For More Information: