Application DEADLINE: FEBRUARY 9 2015
The Wheelwright Prize is a $100,000 travel-based research grant awarded annually by Harvard University Graduate School of Design to early-career architects who have demonstrated exceptional design talent, produced work of scholarly and professional merit, and who show promise for continued creative work.
The prize originated in 1935 as a traveling fellowship, intended to provide a Grand Tour experience to exceptional recent GSD graduates at a time when international travel was rare. In 2013, the GSD opened the prize to early-career architects worldwide to encourage new forms of prolonged, hands-on research and cross-cultural engagement.
- Applicant must have graduated from a professionally accredited architecture degree program in the past 15 years. (Graduates prior to 2000 are ineligible.) Holders of multiple degrees may apply, provided they received their professional degrees between 2000 and March 2014. Applicants need not be registered or licensed.
- Applicants may not have received the Arthur Wheelwright Traveling Fellowship previously.
- Winners of the Wheelwright Prize may not hold other fellowships concurrently.
- The Wheelwright Prize is available to individual entrants only; teams or firms will not be considered.
- Current Harvard GSD faculty, instructors, and staff are not eligible.
- Winners are expected to spend a minimum of 6 months (cumulative) outside of their countries of residence in order to conduct their proposed research.
- Proposed research itineraries must not include sites in the United States. Research and travel must commence within 12 months of receiving the Wheelwright Prize and must be completed within two years of receiving the prize.
- The Wheelwright Prize is intended for independent study and may not be applied to university tuition. However, the grant may be applied to fees for workshops and conferences.
The winner will be selected via an open call for proposals and a rigorous review process. The winner of the Wheelwright Prize will receive:
- $100,000 cash prize to support travel and research-related costs
- invitation to lecture at Harvard GSD
- possibility to publish research in a Harvard GSD publication
The deadline for applications is February 9. (Please note that the deadline has been extended beyond the originally announced deadline of January 30.) The winner of the 2015 Wheelwright Prize will be announced in mid-April.
For More Information: