Application Deadline: December 7 2014
The Global Fellows Program trains the next generation of social impact leaders
Gain world-class leadership training. Serve in the field with a social enterprise. Join a cohort of emerging leaders who will change the world
The Acumen Global Fellows Program is a 12-month fellowship for individuals dedicated to serving the poor and who have the business and operational expertise, and moral imagination needed to effect long-term social change. The fellowship begins with an eight-week training program in the Acumen New York office, where Fellows learn about business models for the poor, hone their leadership skills, and learn more about Acumen.
After training, each Fellow works for the CEO or senior management of an Acumen investee on a critical business issue facing the organization. Fellows have worked on projects ranging from leading operations of a new business unit at a cotton ginnery in Uganda, to expanding the clinic network of a pharmacy company in India, to developing branding strategies for a microfinance institution in Pakistan.
- Strong business experience: finance, operations, sales, marketing, and/or consulting
- Demonstrated passion and commitment to creating positive social change
- Proven track record of leadership and management responsibilities
- Experience living and working in emerging markets
- Grit, courage, and perseverance
- A minimum of 4 years work experience
Acumen Global Fellowship Year Overview:
September to mid-November
The Global Fellowship begins with two months of intensive training at the Acumen offices in New York. The training curriculum is based on the three core principles of moral imagination, financial expertise, and operational expertise. Acumen partners with some of the foremost organizations to deliver this leadership curriculum.
Mid-November to August
For ten months, Fellows work at one of Acumen’s portfolio companies as key staff members. Fellows work directly with entrepreneurs, interact with customers, and grapple, first-hand, with the complex issues of addressing the needs of the poor.
Debrief & Beyond
September & Onwards
Fellows return to New York to share their experiences and lessons learned with the Acumen staff and community. Fellows receive career development support to assist with their post-Fellowship career plans. After the Fellowship, Alumni remain connected through bi-annual gatherings, newsletters, participation in future selection processes, and other opportunities.
There are five parts of the initial application:
- Background Information
- Your Resume/CV
- Applicant Summary and Overview
- Essay Questions
- Two Professional References
The Selection Process
- November 10th, 2014: Applications open
- December 7th, 11:59 PM EST: Applications close
- January: Phone interviews
- February- March: In person interviews
- April- May: Final candidates selected and offers made
For More Infoemation: