Application Deadline: December 1st 2014
The ASU Foundation for a New American University and The MasterCard Foundation are pleased to announce the availability of The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at ASU. This prestigious scholarship recognizes international students from Sub-Saharan Africa who come from the lowest socioeconomic quintiles and show outstanding academic and leadership abilities.
Those considered for this program demonstrate high academic achievement, exceptional records of service and activity in their schools and communities, and a commitment to return to Africa after their studies to make an impact on social and economic change in their home countries.
Scholarship award amount
- The Scholars program provides financial assistance equivalent to the costs related to the attainment of a bachelor’s degree, which must be obtained within eight semesters, or four academic years.
- The scholarship includes travel, tuition, housing, food, living expenses, internship experience in Sub-Saharan Africa, and cohort signature programs, such as a freshman retreat in northern Arizona, a Broadway show at Gammage Auditorium and a senior retreat.
- Students also are eligible to take up to nine credit hours of summer school courses.
In addition to financial support, students are provided with a comprehensive support network that includes an array of mentoring and cultural transition services to ensure each student’s academic success, community engagement, and transition to employment opportunities that will further social and economic change in Africa.
- first-time freshman seeking a bachelor’s degree
- citizen of a Sub-Saharan African country
- currently living in Sub-Saharan Africa
- academic achievement and potential
- demonstration of service and leadership in school or community
- motivation and commitment to return to Sub-Saharan Africa after graduation and give back
- verification of disadvantaged socio-economic status
Application Starts: August 1st 2014 , Deadline: 1st 2014
Selection timeline for 2015:
- Online scholarship application must be submitted by December 1, 2014.
- Scans of certified copies of transcripts and national exam results for last three years of secondary school must be emailed by December 1, 2014.
- Recommendation forms must be submitted by December 15th, 2014.
- Semi-finalists will be notified on February 13th, 2015.
- Finalists will be determined by March 27, 2015.
- All other candidates will be notified by April 6, 2015.
For More Information: