Application Deadline: September 15, 2015
The Princeton Society of Fellows, an interdisciplinary group of scholars in the humanities, social sciences, and selected natural sciences, invites applications for the 2016-2019 Fellowship competition.
- PhD degree requirements.
a) Candidates already holding the PhD degree at time of application:
You must have received your degree between January 1, 2014 and September 15, 2015.
b) Candidates who are ABD (all but dissertation) at time of application:
If you will not meet the September 15, 2015, deadline for receipt of PhD but are expected to have fulfilled all conditions for the degree, including defense and filing of dissertation, by June 15, 2016, you may still apply for a postdoctoral fellowship provided you have completed a substantial portion of the dissertation (approximately half).
Fellowships will be awarded to candidates at the beginning of their academic career. Candidates must have already demonstrated outstanding scholarly achievement and excellence in teaching.
- US citizens and non-US citizens, regardless of race, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability, are eligible to apply.
- Fellows must reside in or near Princeton during the academic year of their fellowship term in order that they can attend weekly seminars and other events on campus.
- Four three-year Postdoctoral Fellowships will be awarded this year.
- The stipend for each of the three years of the fellowship will be approximately $82,000.
- In addition, fellows are provided with a shared office, a personal computer, a research account of $5,000 a year, access to university grants, benefits and other resources.
Fellows are expected to reside in or near Princeton during the academic year in order to attend weekly seminars and participate fully in the intellectual life of the Society.
Candidates should review carefully the following guidelines before completing the online application form and mailing the dossier materials.
Checklist of dossier items (See below for Details)
Confidential letters of recommendation should be emailed directly to the Society by three referees, or by a dossier service, on or before the postmark deadline.
Dossier items (below, single-sided) should be mailed by the candidate:
- Completed application form
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- For ABD (All But Dissertation) candidates only: letter of “Progress to Degree” from either department chair or director of graduate studies (see text below)
- Dissertation abstract
- Writing sample: one chapter of the dissertation or one published article
- Research proposal
- Two course proposals
Mail the complete dossier by September 15, 2015 (postmark deadline) to:
Search Committee, Society of Fellows in the Liberal Arts, 10 Joseph Henry House, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544
For More Information: