Application Deadline: December 2nd 2015.
The Mandela Magdalene College Scholarships were announced in March 1995 when Nelson Mandela, then President of The Republic of South Africa, agreed to lend his name to the initiative.
The scheme results from a collaboration between Mr Chris von Christierson and other benefactors, the Cambridge Trusts and Magdalene College, Cambridge.
The scholarships enable graduates from South Africa to pursue one-year taught postgraduate courses of study at the University of Cambridge in subjects relevant to the needs of South Africa.
- The scheme aims to support South African graduate students of outstanding academic merit and leadership potential who would otherwise be unable to take up a place at Cambridge University.
- The scholarships are open to citizens of South Africa, normally under the age of 35 and normally resident in South Africa who have, or expect to obtain before 1 October 2016, a first class or high second class honours degree or its equivalent from a recognised University.
- Successful applicants will be expected to return to South Africa to work or study after completing the course at Cambridge.
The scholarships are means tested. The maximum award covers:
• University Composition Fee at the overseas rate
• a maintenance allowance sufficient for a single student
• a return airfare, courtesy of British Airways
- This scheme is administered on behalf of the University of Cambridge and Magdalene College by the Board of Graduate Studies (for admission to the University) and the Cambridge Trusts (for funding).
- Further information, and application materials, are available in the University’s Graduate Studies Prospectus. All applicants for admission to the University must complete and return a GRADSAF application form to the Board of Graduate Studies; applications must be completed by 2 December 2015.
- Applications will first be assessed by the candidate’s proposed Faculty or Department at the University. If successful, the candidate’s application will be further reviewed by the Cambridge Trusts and Magdalene College. The scholarship will be tenable from 1 October 2016.
For More Information: