Application Deadline: February 29, 2016.
The Programme was launched in 1413H (1992), named ‘The IDB Merit Scholarship Programme for High Technology‘ (MSP).
The objective of the programme is to develop technically qualified human resources in the IDB member countries by providing scholarships to promising and outstanding scholars and researchers to undertake advanced studies and research in the fields of applied science and technology needed for the development of the member countries.
The Programme is designed to help promising research students to pursue a full-time three-year Ph.D study in scientific disciplines that enhance development in IDB member countries, with priority to Health/Medicine, Agriculture/Food Production, Water Resources/Desertification, Energy/Infrastructure Development, Nanotechnology and ICT for Development.
To be eligible for the scholarship, the applicant must meet the following basic criteria:
- Age not over (a) 35 years for Ph.D. study, and (b) 40 years for Post-Doctoral research;
- Attached to a research/academic/development institution in science and technology in their respective country;
- Must possess the required academic background in the related field of their proposed study/research and have some professional/research experience in the respective field;
- Demonstrate that the research proposal has scientific and technological relevance with the objective of meeting the priority development needs of the country;
- Have good command of the language of the institution of study and the ability to conduct scientific work in it.
Fields of Study
For PhD programme, fields of studies under the programme are determined by the priority needs of the country’s development in science and technology sectors and to supplement the IDB vision 1440H. Current focus is thus on the following fields of studies:
Health/medicine, Agriculture/Food production, Water Resources/ Desertification, Energy/Infrastructure Development, Nanotechnology, Development-focused ICT, and pure Science subjects.
Applications for post-doctoral research are invited to undertake a specific innovative project to address a problem-solving matter in member countries such as Malaria, Corona, Ebola, Food production, Water Resources/Desertification, Energy. This is to focus on most crucial development areas of IDB member countries in addition to what it was highlighted in the IDB Vision 1440H.
The scholarship covers the following benefits and entitlements:
- All academic expenses
- Living allowances
- Health Insurance
- Round trip air-tickets to and from place of study
- Conference Participation allowance
- Scientific Paper preparation allowance
Place of Study
- The successful candidate for the PhD programme must secure admission at one of the universities listed in the Times Higher Education Supplement (THES). Please visit the THES website: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings.
- Priority shall be given to those Ph.D. applicants who have secured admission at universities that have concluded a cooperation agreement with the IDB such as University of Cambridge, University of Nottingham, University of York and University College London and Imperial College London in the UK, Princeton University in USA, Paris-Tech in France and KAUST in Saudi Arabia, etc.
How to apply
- Download the application form for 3-Year Ph.D. Study or application form for Post-Doctoral Research.
- The applications must be submitted through the nominating institutions to the Office of the IDB Governor for the country. It is the Office of the IDB Governor that will forward the applications to the IDB and not the individual applicants or the nominating institutions. As for Egypt, applications should be forwarded through the Ministry of Higher Education, Egypt instead of Office of the IDB Governor. Applications sent directly to the IDB will not be considered.
The applicant must complete the application form and send it together with all the requisite documents, as mentioned on the concluding page of the form, through the office of the IDB Governor for the applicant’s country and not directly to the IDB Headquarters in Jeddah.
The application must reach the concerned IDB Governor’s Office or its designated office by February 29, 2016. Applications received directly at the IDB will not be entertained.
Islamic Development Bank
8111 King Khalid St.
Al Nuzlah Yamania Dist.
Unit. No. 1, Jeddah 22332-2444,
Tel: (966-12) 646-6833; Fax: (966-12) 646-6887
e-mail: [email protected]
For More Information: