Application Deadline: August 16th 2016
The International Telecommunication Union (ITU), in collaboration with the Busan Metropolitan City and the National Information Society Agency (NIA), the Republic of Korea, are organizing the “Young ICT Leaders’ Forum 2016 (YILF-2016)” which will be held during 7-9 September 2016 in Busan City, the Republic of Korea. The Forum is hosted by the Busan Metropolitan City at Exhibition Hall 1, BEXCO, Republic of Korea.
The YILF 2016 aims to promote an active participation of youth in the digital economy, including (1) promoting the engagement of youth in the field of ICTs; (2) decreasing the digital divide; and (3) promoting research on emerging ICTs particularly Internet of Things (IoT).
This Forum is composed of the following parts:
2-day Conference and Busan Global Smart Cities Challenge (the 7th & 8th of Sept);
Welcome and Networking reception (Evening of the 7th & 8th);
Exploring the city of Busan (the 9th Sept.)
The Forum focuses on connecting, sharing and empowering the YOUTH in the ICT Sector in order to enhance their capacity on creating the start-up business of their own and to be a competitive positioning in their professional work field. Hence, the ultimate goal of YILF is to offer a platform where the young ICT leaders can exchange their knowledge and building up the innovative concepts into reality by working closely together as a team, which in turns, the benefits to the IoT industry locally and internationally.
In addition, Busan Global Smart Cities Challenge, which is under auspices of the 2nd Young ICT Leaders’ Forum 2016, will be jointly organized by Busan Metropolitan City and ITU this year. Global Smart Cities Challenge is a competition opened for young people to present their young innovative ideas on harnessing the power of digital technologies in making a city smarter, safer, and friendlier to environment thereby improving quality of life of the citizens.
- Applicant is in the age group of between 18 and 35 years old. Applicant from government sector, industry and private sector, academia and R&D organizations are welcomed.
- Applicant should be in charge of and/or have professional background in Internet of Things (IoT), Smart City or modern ICT convergence (e.g. cloud, big data, etc.). In this regard, application form must be fully completed and attached with his/her Resume/CV.
- Applicant must be actively and fully participate in the ‘Busan Global Smart Cities Challenge’ which is part of the 2nd Young ICT Leaders’ Forum. Hence, applicant must complete the application form including his/her proposed innovative idea for competition of the Busan Global Smart Cities Challenge.
- Successful applicants will be selected based on their experience and importantly their ideas proposed for the competition of the Busan Global Smart Cities Challenge.
- Applicant may apply as a team, and only one application form is required. However, it is important to note that, if the applicant is selected, air ticket and hotel accommodation will be provided to only one person of the team.
- The selection committee reserves the right to accept or reject any applications subject to applicants’ qualifications and available budget.
- The Forum also welcomes any individuals or groups who wish to attend the Forum on their own expenses, or are financially supported by their organization. However, they are also required to submit the completed application form and resume.
- Application form must be signed by the applicant and approved (signed by) by his/her supervisor.
- Eligible countries for fellowships include Least Developed Countries (LDCs) and Developing Countries including Small Islands Developing States (SIDS).
- A fellowship includes:
|Flight Ticket||Round-trip flight ticket between major airport of the applicant’s country and Gimhae International Airport, Busan, Korea (Economy class)||The secretariat will coordinate the flight ticket unless otherwise agreed by the secretariat|
|Accommodation||Maximum 4 nights of Hotel accommodation
(From 6th to 9th Sept. / check-out in 10th Sept. morning)
|The secretariat will designate the official hotel of the forum.|
|Local Transportation||Upon arrival & departure
Airport limousine bus between the airport and the hotel
|Information of transportation between the Hotel and Venue will be notified later.|
|Meal||Breakfast – Sept. 7,8,9,10 (Hotel Breakfast)
Lunch – Sept. 7 & 8
Dinner – Sept. 7 & 8
|Dinner on 9th Sep. is
- Busan Metropolitan City will provide fellowships (including round-trip air ticket and hotel accommodation) to qualified applicants, subject to available budget.
- The last date for receiving applications is 16 August 2016.
- The Forum will be conducted in English.
- No participation fee is required.
- To participate, please complete online application form available at the website mentioned above.
- It is important to note that applicants are required to submit the complete application form with detail about their innovative ideas for the Busan Global Smart Cities Challenge. Successful candidates will be selected based on their ideas presented in the application form.
The Forum will be conducted in English and no participation fee applied. To participate, please register online. For more information about the event, please contact Ms Soo Nam ([email protected])
- ITU Invitation
- Busan Letter of Invitation
- Tentative Programme
- Application Form
- Flyer: Busan Global Smart Cities Challenge
- Brochure: Young ICT Leaders’ Forum 2016
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the Young ICT Leaders’ Forum & Busan Global Smart Cities Challenge 2016