Application Deadline:Sunday 15 March 2020.
The Middle East Mediterranean (MEM) Summer Summit was launched by Università della Svizzera Italiana in 2018.
Every year it gives us great pleasure to host more than 100 young change-makers from over 30 different countries along with around 100 speakers and distinguished guests.
Apply now to attend the third MEM Summer Summit. We very much look forward to welcoming you in Lugano.
The Middle East Mediterranean region, a geopolitical space deeply affected by disorder and convulsions both on land and sea, has undergone profound and rapid changes over the past few years. From upheavals of this magnitude, a new world order has emerged for the twenty-first century. From East to West, North to South of the extended Middle East Mediterranean region – from Iran to Algeria and from Syria to the Sudan – several elements of young civil societies are working together across the political spectrum, weaving the threads of dialogue, civic liberties, and sustainable development. Such initiatives are not necessarily in the media spotlight, but together make up a major network from which tomorrow’s social fabric will emerge. It is a phenomenon that Europe must welcome and encourage, if only to ensure its own security in an area of shared prosperity with its southern neighbours. It is precisely with this in mind that the programme of this Summit was conceived.
The Summit – designed as an intellectual and social exchange across borders, cultures and languages – is composed of two parts: an eight-day Seminar and a two-day Forum. The emphasis is on the need and ambition to pursue an incisive analysis and reflection on the complex challenges facing the extended Middle East Mediterranean region.
The main objectives are:
- to offer a safe space for dialogue between young change-makers from the Middle East Mediterranean region where to lay out a vision for common future of the region, by starting from the present
- to build a common ground and intergenerational exchange between young people and decision-makers, public and private institutions, non-profit organisations, social enterprises
- to develop novel approaches to tackle persisting critical issues
- to act as a breeding ground for developing across border and multilateral project proposals
- to initiate collaboration and start networks among several actors in the region
The MEM Summer Summit welcomes applications from candidates:
- aged between 25 and 35
- from the Middle East Mediterranean region and Europe and/or with a proven interest in the region and engagement in the society
- with diverse educational backgrounds and work experience (professionals with careers in business, media, human rights and non-governmental work as well as artists, intellectuals, students and researchers). Multidisciplinarity and heterogeneity of experience are enriching and crucial to approaching the complex issues from plural perspective
- interested and willing to work on project-proposals with an across border approach with participants coming from all over the region
- with the ability to work as part of a diversified team
- with a strong knowledge of English; knowledge of French is an asset
Applicants must submit a complete application on the online YCM platform (to enter, click the button below).
In addition to completing the forms on our platform, applicants must upload the following documents:
- A Letter of Intent of no more than two pages describing current interests and plans in the MEM region, suggesting how the MEM Summer Summit may help further those interests and plans
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae
- A short introduction video in English (up to two minutes long), in which the applicant introduces themselves, briefly state why they are the right candidate and how they can contribute to the Summit
- The names and contacts of two referees
Closing date for application: Sunday 15 March 2020.
Applications will be evaluated by a Committee of experts. The successful applicants will be notified via email by Wednesday 15 April 2020.
The MEM Summer Summit offers a limited number of partial or full grants for participating in the MEM Summer Summit 2020.
- Full grants cover travel, accommodation and tuition fee
- Partial grants cover tuition fee and/or accommodation
Priority will be given to covering the expenses of citizens from low-income countries or with proven financial needs. Applicants may apply for a grant by uploading a grant request letter on the YCM Platform (https://ycm2020.mem-summersummit.ch) by Sunday 15 March 2020.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the Middle East Mediterranean (MEM) Summer Summit 2020