Application Deadline: January 07, 2019
The purpose of Project Pakati, being managed by the African Leadership Institute (AFLI), as a grantee of Ford Foundation, is to create spaces and opportunities where young people can identify synergies and collaborate, resulting in the execution of collective agendas and activities that drive the African developmental agenda forward.
This networking and collaboration will primarily be achieved on the Project Pakati Digital Platform housed on Workplace by Facebook. In keeping with the overarching theme of empowering young people, the project is being led and driven by a Youth Advisory Board of 13 young African leaders. Pakati is a Bantu word meaning ‘in the middle’, “at the centre.” Variations of the word are Pakati/Phakati/Katikati. Project Pakati was thus branded to reflect young African leaders at the centre of the African development narrative.
The Opportunity and What’s In it for You!
Project Pakati is seeking 150 ChangeMakers and 3 ChangeLeads to work on the youth representation project. This is a great opportunity for you for a number of reasons:
• It gives you the platform to play a role in shaping the Africa you want by using your voice to help achieve youth representation.
• It is a learning opportunity to learn from your peers from many other African countries who you will collaborate with on the platform
• It is a platform to broaden your perspectives on many issues affecting youth and young leaders on the continent.
• It’s about building your personal legacy.
• It’s about access to an incredible network of other young people and professional networks.
• It’s an opportunity to gain different skills.
• It’s about building up your track record of delivering on results.
Selection Criteria for ChangeLeads and ChangeMakers
Preferred candidates are people who, by their actions, achievements and the values and principles by which they conduct their affairs, have demonstrated they are action-oriented and results-driven leaders.
We are seeking energetic young African leaders who are tired of the status quo and want to contribute to making a difference. They are to be between the ages of 18 and 40 years of age.
Candidates can come from any sector of society (business, social entrepreneurs or civil society).
A doer who is results-oriented
• Able to devote some time to work on the project
• Committed to serving his/her constituency (stakeholders/cause) and community ahead of self-gratification.
• Confident, optimistic with high energy
• Visionary, strategic and forward thinking
• Systemic thinker – ability to assimilate, simplify and channel complex ideas
Passionate about the development of Africa
• Citizen of an African country and must be currently living in Africa.
Additional Requirements for ChangeLeads
The ChangeLeads will be experts in their respective fields who will have the responsibility of guiding the Changemakers and steering the youth representation project. They will, in turn, report to the Project Development Sub-Committee of the Youth Advisory Board.
AFLI is seeking 3 ChangeLeads who will work together in a complementary manner, with backgrounds in the following areas:
• Project Management
• Knowledge and/or experience working with youth engagement in civil rights and youth rights
How to Apply:
Candidates, who wish to apply for the Project Pakati, as either a ChangeLead or as a ChangeMaker, are required to submit a letter of motivation (max 400 words), their CV and a brief bio. Their experience of involvement in socio-economic development work, if any, must be outlined.
Candidates are required to submit their application documents by email to [email protected] and to cc [email protected] by January 07th , 2019.
Selection of the successful candidates will be completed by the 21 January 2019. Selected candidates will be required to sign a Commitment Form before joining the Project Pakati Digital Platform, Workplace by Facebook.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the AFLI Project Pakati Young Leaders