Application Deadline: June 10th 2016
The Africa Food Prize is the preeminent award for recognizing the extraordinary individual or institution whose contributions to African agriculture are forging a new era of sustainable food security and economic opportunity for all Africans.
The US $100,000 prize celebrates Africans who are taking control of Africa’s agriculture agenda and changing the reality of farming in Africa from a struggle to survive
to a business that thrives. It puts a bright spotlight on bold initiatives and technical innovations that can be replicated across the continent.
The Africa Food Prize is funded by AGRA and Yara International ASA. Its winners are
selected by a panel of independent and distinguished leaders in African agriculture
chaired by former Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo. Both the Committee
and Chair receive no remuneration for their work. The Prize will be awarded annually at
the African Green Revolution Forum, starting with the 2016 AGRF scheduled for 5th until
the 9th of September in Nairobi, Kenya.
- The Africa Food Prize recognizes extraordinary women, men, and institutions whose outstanding contributions to African agriculture are forging a new era of sustainable food security and economic opportunity that elevates all Africans.
Building on the values and principles established by the Yara Prize, the AfricaFood Prize puts a bright spotlight on achievements and innovations that can bereplicated across the continent to eliminate hunger and poverty and provide a vital newsource of employment and income.
- The Africa Food Prize can be awarded to any individual or identifiable group of individuals, as well as to established institutions, associations, organizations or government bodies with a formal and recognized judicial and organizational structure contributing to the overall objectives of the Prize.
- The Prize can be awarded to any qualified candidate, irrespective of nationality, profession or location, whose work, and contributions deriving from the work, has had a clear impact on the African situation, nationally, regionally or for the continent.
- The Prize can be awarded with reference to a specific contribution or achievement, or a series of efforts and results in the recent past, preferably within the last few years.
- Current or recent members of the Africa Food Prize Committee, or an institution/ organization headed by such a member, are ineligible for the Prize. The Prize cannot be awarded to a person already deceased, but will be presented in the event a Prize winner dies before receiving the Prize.
- The Prize can be awarded to more than one winner, but not more than two. If shared, each winner will receive equal prize money (USD 100 000 divided in two), a diploma and a trophy.
- To be eligible for the Prize, a nomination must be submitted in writing in either English or French.
- In order to be considered by the Africa Food Prize Committee, all nominations and supporting documentation must be received by Friday, June 10, 2016.
The Africa Food Prize 2016
Attn: The Africa Food Prize Secretariat
West End Towers, 4th Floor, Kanjata Road
Off Muthangari Drive, off Waiyaki Way
P.O Box 66773, Westlands 00800, Nairobi Kenya
For More Information:
[…] The Africa Food Prize is the preeminent award recognizing an outstanding individual or institution that is leading the effort to change the reality of farming in Africa—from a struggle to survive to a business that thrives. […]