Application Deadline: Friday 9th September 2016
The African Investigative Journalism Conference (AIJC) is a three-day conference at Wits University in Johannesburg for and about investigative journalism.
AIJC have a budget to offer sponsorship to a limited number of African journalists. Places are open to journalists with a proven track record in investigative journalism.
At the African Investigative Journalism Conference, the organizers will provide courses in a range of skills: how to do a financial investigation, how to research the Panama Papers, multimedia storytelling, tools to secure your emails, how to collaborate across borders with African colleagues, undercover reporting, reporting with your mobile phone and lots of data journalism. There will also be time to get to know your fellow investigative journalists from around the continent.
Unfortunately the conference will be conducted in English without translations.
- The bursary will cover flights to South Africa, airport transfers, accommodation in single rooms, transport to and from the conference, meals and conference fees.
- It does not cover home-country transport or visa costs, which must be self-funded.
- In country transports costs for personal trips and charges for incidentals at the place of accommodation is also excluded and will be for your personal account.
- To apply for a bursary, please submit a short motivation letter (max. 400 words) and send it with your CV and at least one example of your published or broadcast work (preferably a link) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please also let us know if you have attended the conference before and in which year.
- If you are a new journalist and want to attend, tell us which investigate story you are planning to work on with the skills you will gain.
- If you have worked on an investigation the past year and would like to present this story, please also include information on that project.
- In order to apply you will require a valid passport, and need to be available to travel from Saturday, 5 November – return on Wednesday, 9 November or Thursday, 10 November (depending on flight availability).
- All applications will be acknowledged on receipt and a final decision on places will be made by Monday, 3rd October.
For More Information: