Application Deadline: November 15, 2022.
Wikimedia Foundation is inviting applications for Research Fund that provides support to individuals, groups, and organizations with research interests on or about Wikimedia projects.
Wikimedia encourages submissions from across research disciplines including but not limited to humanities, social sciences, computer science, education, and law. Wikimedia aims to support applicants who have limited access to research funding and are proposing work that has the potential for a direct, positive impact on their local communities.
Wikimedia prioritizes supporting applicants who have limited access to research funding, are in regions of the world where the Wikimedia research community has less representation, and are proposing work that has potential for direct, positive impact on their local communities or the global Wikimedia communities.
- Individuals, groups, and organizations may apply. Any individual is allowed three open grants at any one time. This includes Rapid Funds. Groups or organizations can have up to five open grants at any one time.
- Recipients must agree to the reporting requirements, be willing to sign a grant agreement, and provide the Wikimedia Foundation with information needed to process funding.
- Wikimedia expects all recipients of the Research Funds to adhere to the Friendly space policy and Wikimedia’s Universal Code of Conduct.
- – Applications and reports are accepted in English and Spanish.
- Potential applicants should not submit a proposal if at least one of the following holds true:
- At least one applicant has been an employee or contractor at the Wikimedia Foundation in the last 24 months;
- At least one applicant has had an advisee/advisor relationship with one or more of the Research Fund Committee
- Chairs or members of the Wikimedia Research team;
- At least one of the applicants is a current or has been a former Formal Collaborator of the Research team at the
- Wikimedia Foundation in the last 24 months;
- At least one applicant has co-authored a scientific publication with the Committee Chairs within the last 24 months.
- Applicants submit proposals in response to the call for Research Fund Proposals.
- All proposals will be publicly available to allow community members and Regional Fund Committees to provide feedback.
- The Research Fund Committee and reviewers will evaluate all proposals, taking into account this community input, and invite top applicants to submit full proposals to the next stage.
- The technical reviewers will evaluate all proposals. The applicants of the top proposals are invited to submit full proposals to the next stage.
- Wikimedia Foundation will invite top applicants to submit a full budget and proposal, including responses to the reviewers’, community members’, and Regional Funds Committees’ comments. Invited applicants will receive detailed instructions for how to prepare and submit their proposals. These will also be publicly available.
For More Information: