Application Deadline: June 4th, 2023
As an integral part of the extended 45th session of the World Heritage Committee, and in the framework of the UNESCO World Heritage Education Programme, the Ministry of Culture in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia through the National Committee for Education, Culture and Science and the Saudi Heritage Commission will be hosting the World Heritage Young Professionals Forum 2023 under the theme of “Looking Ahead: The Next 50 Years of Protecting Natural and Cultural Heritage » from 3 to 12 September 2023 in Riyadh and the Al-Ahsa Oasis. The Forum will be developed and implemented with the support of the NGO Diadrasis.
The Forum is an opportunity to understand and assess the achievements of the past 5 decades of the World Heritage Convention; to highlight the crucial role of youth in the heritage ecosystem; and to pave the way for the next generation of heritage professionals, giving voice to their unique approaches to heritage management. The Forum will harness the potential of capacity building and prepare the young professionals in creating a sustainable future for our cultural and natural heritage. At the end of the Forum, the outcomes produced by the participants will be presented to the extended 45th session of the World Heritage Committee in the form of a Youth Declaration.
The World Heritage Young Professionals Fora are among the flagship activities of the World Heritage Education Programme, designed to foster intercultural learning and exchange by bringing together young people, educators, and heritage experts from different parts of the world to discover new roles for themselves in heritage conservation. They allow the young professionals to gain local insights on heritage management from the experience of the host country and through site visits to World Heritage properties, and also provide an opportunity for them to meet with the members of the World Heritage Committee and its Advisory Bodies and discuss the 1972 Convention and its implementation in greater depth.
Theme: “Looking Ahead: The Next 50 Years of Protecting Natural and Cultural Heritage”
Participants of the World Heritage Young Professionals Forum 2023 are expected to be:
- Aged between 23 and 32 years.
- Experienced in one of these fields: World Heritage, conservation, archaeology, architecture, conservation, urban planning & regeneration, restoration, art history, tourism, climate change, and digital technology.
- Motivated and committed to implementing the outcomes of the Forum in their respective countries.
- Committed to enhancing community engagement in the management of World Heritage properties.
- Available for the entire duration of the Forum.
- Proficient in English, as the Forum will be conducted entirely in English.
In addition to general eligibility, the following elements will also be considered in selecting the participants:
- Balanced geographical representation.
- Gender equality.
- Diversity of professional backgrounds.
- Ability to disseminate gained experience in the country or institution of origin.
- Knowledge and experience in the management practices for World Heritage sites.
All interested candidates who wish to apply for participation in the World Heritage Young Professionals Forum should fill in and submit the online application form.
- The participants are expected to arrive on 2nd September 2023 and depart on 13th September 2023. All related expenses (economy class flights, accommodation, local transportation, and meals) will be covered by the host country for the duration of the Forum. The organizers will also assist in the travel preparations and will provide support to the participants who need a visa.
- If any participant wishes to extend his/her stay after 13th September 2023, all related costs will be covered by the participant. In such a case, the host country should be informed in advance, in order to make all the necessary arrangements.
Please note, that the following information will be requested as part of the registration process:
- All answers and documents must be presented only in English only. Applications submitted in languages other than English will not be considered.
- A professional Curriculum vitae in PDF format (max. 2 pages, 10 MB).
- A scan of your passport in jpg, jpeg, gif or png format (max, 10 MB).
- All interested candidates who wish to apply for participation in the World Heritage Young Professionals Forum should fill in and submit the online application form.
- The deadline for submitting the applications is 4 June 2023 at 23:59 CET
- The selected applicants will be informed by email.
- For any clarifications regarding the application form please contact [email protected]
For More Information: