Application Deadline: 3rd of February, 2017.
AFRIKA KOMMT! FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM 2016 – 2018 An Initiative of German Industry for Future Leaders from Sub-Saharan Africa
19 leading German enterprises founded the initiative AFRIKA KOMMT! in the year 2008 – the very first joint-initiative for capacity building by German industry.
At the heart of the AFRIKA KOMMT! fellowship program is an eight-months practical training in a leading German enterprise benefiting both, fellows and partner companies – a classic win-win situation:
The program fellows benefit through
- gaining first-hand practical experience in a leading German enterprise
- being exposed to leadership concepts and management techniques in practice
- becoming acquainted with working processes and business culture in German enterprises
- extending their international management competencies
- initiating networks of cooperation partners between Sub-Saharan Africa and German companies
AFRIKA KOMMT! receives valuable contributions from the German Federal Foreign Office
(Auswärtiges Amt) and the German embassies in Sub-Saharan Africa.
The program is supported by the Federal President of Germany Joachim Gauck.
The partner companies benefit through
- establishing networks of cooperation and trust in promising future markets in Sub-Saharan Africa
- extending their experience with the working and business culture in Sub-Saharan Africa
- improving their knowledge about cultures, markets, countries etc. in Sub-Saharan Africa
- After four completed program years a significant number of the participants now work in the branch office of their respective partner company in Africa.
Key elements of AFRIKA KOMMT!
Financed by the German partner companies, the capacity development program AFRIKA KOMMT! is conducted in German and consists of the following key components:
1. One-month home-based intensive German language preparation course
2. One-year stay in Germany comprising of:
- Three-months intensive German language course
- Eight-months internship in a German partner company
- Three one-week training modules on international management and leadership competencies
- One-week study tour in Germany on relevant subjects, e.g. “Regional Economic Development”
- Weekend seminars on cultural and social subjects organised by the Robert Bosch Stiftung in Stuttgart and the ZEIT-Stiftung Ebelin und Gerd Bucerius in Hamburg
- Cultural weekend activities organised by GIZ
3. Six-months transfer phase after the stay in Germany via GIZ’s online platform Global Campus 21
4. Refresher course in Africa, approx. 6-12 months after the stay in Germany, offering the former fellows to extend their networks with other alumni and to mutually benefit from their experiences.
Formal eligibility requirements
Candidates need to fulfil the following formal eligibility requirements:
- University degree in a relevant subject
- Postgraduate degree (e.g. MBA) is an advantage
- Two to five years of relevant work experience
- Excellent English language skills
- Basic knowledge of the German language is an advantage
- Not older than 35 years and physically fit
- Female candidates are welcome
- The AFRIKA KOMMT! Fellowship Program aims at highly qualified, self-driven young professionals and junior executives from Sub-Saharan Africa with several years of hands-on work experience, strong leadership qualities and a very high level of commitment and dedication.
The AFRIKA KOMMT! fellowship program includes:
- An individual German language course before departure to Germany
- An intensive German language course in Germany of three months including fees, accommodation and living allowance
Travelling expenses – Flights, Visa, etc.
- Visa for Germany for one year
- Roundtrip airfare from your home town to Germany and back
- Travel to refresher course and back
- Program-related travelling expenses in Germany
Monthly living allowance during the theoretical phase
- Monthly living allowance of € 750,- (August, September and October 2017; July 2018)
- One-off relocation fee of € 1.000,- for settling back into the home countries
- Monthly salary during the internship in the companies of approx. € 1.500,- gross
- Accommodation during all stages of the program in Germany (including internet allowance, electricity, water and other charges)
- Health, accident and liability insurance
- International management training courses
- Study tour and weekend seminars in Germany
- Refresher course in Africa, including management training
- Alumni networking activities
- AFRIKA KOMMT! is a practice-oriented fellowship program.
- Fellows will receive two certificates.
- One official certificate by the Academy for International Cooperation of GIZ GmbH upon successful completion of the program with a detailed description of the specific contents and components of the training and one official certificate by the partner company upon successful completion of the internship.
If you want to apply for the sixth AFRIKA KOMMT! intake from 2016-2018, please make sure you follow the four steps listed below:
- Step 1: Check the general candidate requirements – do you fit the criteria?
- Step 2: Check the available placements and required profiles of the sixth intake of AFRIKA KOMMT! 2016-2018 – Please remember you are applying for the program in general, not for a specific placement
- Step 3: Visit www.afrika-kommt.de and fill in the application form
- Step 4: Submit your application BEFORE 03.02.2017, 23.59h CET – applications submitted after this date cannot be considered
For More Information: