The field of data science is emerging as a critical discipline with high relevance to economic growth and development. This doctoral training program established by AIMS will provide emerging African scientists the opportunity to conduct research at the forefront of data science, and work towards a PhD degree within a high-quality training program in Africa, in cooperation with institutions internationally.
The program will focus on theoretical foundations of data science as well as applications of data science to improve the daily lives of Africans. It is built on the understanding that modern approaches in data science require a combination of expertise spanning the areas of mathematics, statistics, computer science, and the applied sciences.
AIMS will be offering up to seven fully-funded PhD positions in this prestigious new doctoral program. The recruited students will be based in Rwanda at AIMS Rwanda, or any of the other AIMS centers, in partnership with universities and research institutions across Africa and globally. The program aims to train future change-makers, who will have an impact across academia, industry, education, and government.
Candidates can choose from a list of proposed research topics, and AIMS will assist in building a supervision team around these topics. Alternatively, candidates can suggest their own research topics, together with a proposed supervision team. Selected students will start in Oct/Nov 2021.
- Master’s degree (completed by Sept 2021) in mathematics, statistics, computer science, engineering, physics or other relevant fields;
- Sufficient theoretical foundations evidenced by prior work (courses/thesis/other training);
- Qualification for pursuing research on the chosen topic, including relevant programming expertise;
- Research potential evidenced by academic performance and involvement in relevant academic activities;
- Motivation for pursuing a PhD by research in the suggested topic;
- Being an African national.
- 7 positions available
- Length of program: 3 years, with possible extension to a 4th year
- Fully funded (stipend, equipment, health insurance, relocation costs, conference attendance, direct cost to graduating institution such as tuition fees and registration fees)
- International supervision teams from well-known research institutions
- Research topics that push the boundaries of data science
- Program start: Oct 2021
For More Information: