Application Deadline: 24th September
What a better way to mark the 2017 Day of the Girl than to celebrate your wins because GIRLS GOALS = GOALS PROGRESS.
Take part in the 2017 Dadas Lead Art Contest by submitting your essays, photos, videos, art on girls progress to [email protected] by 24th September for a chance to win lots of fabulous prizes from Dadas partners.
Submissions are accepted in English, French and Kiswahili.
- The Dadas Lead Art Contest is open to writers of any nationality between the age of 13–30. Submissions are accepted in the following languages: English, Swahili or French.
- Dada will accepts both handwritten and typed submissions that address the theme Girls progress = Goals progress. Select essays stand a chance to be published/shared across the following Akili Dada communications platforms: blog, facebook page, twitter page, newsletter.
- Essays should be a minimum of 500 to a maximum of 700 words in length. Submissions that do not meet this requirement, or that exceed it, will be disqualified.
- Typed submissions should be Arial 12 pt. font with one-inch margins. Previously published artwork will be considered provided you let us know where and when it was published.
- All submissions must have a cover page indicating (1) your essay title (2) your name (3) address (4) phone number (7) e-mail — optional (8) nationality (9) age as of June 15, 2017 (10) gender (11) school name (if applicable) (12) word count.
- Teachers and youth directors may submit a collection of essays from their class or group.
- Please enclose a list of participants’ names, ages and the name and contact information of the submitting teacher or director.
- Entries missing any of the above information will not be considered.
- Please note that Akili Dada is unable to confirm receipt of essays or answer individual inquiries concerning contest results. PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT US REGARDING THE STATUS OF YOUR SUBMISSION. We are unable to respond to such inquiries. We will only be in touch with the select winners for each category.
- Photographers of all ages, backgrounds and experience levels are invited to submit their work for the Dadas Lead Art Contest. Both individuals and groups may enter the Contest.
- Persons under the age of 16 cannot enter the Contest without the consent of a parent or guardian. It is assumed that, by entering the Contest, the person under the age of 16 has obtained the consent of a parent or guardian.
- Entries are limited to original photographic works.
- Works that infringe upon third-party rights (copyrights, trademark rights, portrait rights, etc.) may not be submitted. Applicants are required to obtain prior permission from rights owners to enter photographic works that contain copyrighted or other protected materials owned by others.
- ALL genres are welcome.
- A picture can only be entered once, either as a single picture or as part of a story, or as part of a body of work. Pictures submitted more than once will be removed from the contest. Pictures can be submitted whether or not they have been published.
- Pictures must meet the following specifications:
- Must be shared in .jpeg/.jpg format.
- Should be saved with a medium to high quality.
- Should be at least 3,000 pixels in length.
- Send no more than 3 high definition images (videos, illustrations, comics, cartoons, gifs etc.) in .JPEG, .GIF or .PNG file format.
- Please do not send us photos that you have taken of your artwork where a background is visible. All artwork sent must be scans or clear photos of the artwork alone with no background objects, people or scenery visible.
- We are looking for artwork that amuses, inspires and delights. Richness of detail, authentic handling of dialogues, age-appropriate content and relationships and sensitive treatment of girls progress in relation to the one or more of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Are there any prizes?
- Open Competition winner — Featured across Akili Dada online and social media platforms and included in the Dadas Lead Art exhibition.
- Category winners — Featured across Akili Dada online and social media platforms and included in exhibition.
- Shortlisted finalists — Featured on the Akili Dada’s website and social media.
In addition to the main prizes, winning and shortlisted writers and artists will receive fabulous gift packages.
What are the rules?
- The competition is free to enter.
- You may only enter one category.
- Title each photograph following the format First Name, Last Name and the number. For example: Janet_Doe_1, Janet_Doe_2 etc.
- Only one entry per write or artist may be submitted.
- Submissions are accepted from 5th September. The closing date for the 2017 Dadas Lead Art Contest competition is 24th September 2017.
- For consideration, send your essays or artwork to [email protected] or Dadas Lead Art Contest, Akili Dada, P.O. BOX 27847–00100 Nairobi, Kenya.
- Include an artist bio inclusive of your full name of no more than 250 words, inclusive of (First name, second name and last name) and contact details (phone number and email address).
- Include a separate document of text presenting the works and their technical data (references of the parts, title of the work and dimensions).
- If submitting through e-mail, write the title of your photograph(s) and medium in the Email title field, separated by commas. For example: “TITLE, PHOTOGRAPHY”, “TITLE, ESSAY”, TITLE, PAINTING”. If the artwork belongs to a set, tell us the name of the set in your email title.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the Dadas Lead Art Contest 2017