Application Deadline: SUNDAY, OCTOBER 1, 2017.
In 2018, the Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society (HIIG) once again opens its doors for fellow scholars! We are looking for individuals from diverse backgrounds and professional experiences who want to contribute to the range of the institute’s transdisciplinary internet research. We particularly encourage early stage researchers to apply.
The international HIIG Fellowship “Internet and Society” offers a unique opportunity for innovative thinkers who wish to engage in the exchange of research experiences and to set up new initiatives. Based in the heart of Berlin, the HIIG provides a dynamic intellectual environment for fellows to pursue their own research interests and actively shape their stay. We also invite fellows to collaborate with a growing international team of researchers and to participate in the activities at our institute. We offer a number of opportunities to share and discuss ideas. This includes:
- writing and publishing papers in one of our open access publications
- commenting on current developments in your field in form of HIIG Blog posts
- holding presentations in one of our Lunch Talks
- organising expert workshops with your peers
- engaging in joint activities and projects with other fellows
For the 2018 class of fellows, we will consider applicants who want to pursue topics that fall within one of HIIG’s main research areas. We would like to ask all applicants to respond to one of the following themes in their research outline. Please read the information on each of the websites closely, and position yourself and/or your project within a key area that best suits you.
- The evolving digital society: What are relevant concepts and theoretical approaches?
- The relationship between actors, data and infrastructures in the digital society: What are key factors of change?
- The knowledge dimension: What are emerging patterns of research and knowledge transfer in the digital age?
- Master’s degree, PhD in process/planned (Junior Fellow) OR
- Advanced PhD, post-doctoral researcher (Senior Fellow)
- Fluency in English; command of German is appreciated
- Research experience and a research project of your own that you want to pursue
- HIIG offer fellowships that range from a minimum of 3 months to a maximum of 12 months within the year 2018.
Costs and Allowances:
- The HIIG offers accepted fellows a waiver for all mandatory fees.
- Fellows may use the facilities free of charge during their stay. However, fellows are expected to bring their own funding from their home institution or outside grants.
- They must take care of accommodation, insurance, childcare, and transportation arrangements.
- In special cases, fellows can apply for a travel grant of up to 700 Euros and a visa subsidy of up to 200 Euros.
Required Application Documents
- Up-to-date curriculum vitae
- Motivation letter explaining your interest in the HIIG Fellowship, research background, and your expectations (1 page)
- Research outline including a) your project and how it responds to one of the key areas, b) the specific work you propose to conduct during the fellowship, c) deliverables, products or outcomes you aim to produce (max. 3 pages)
- Optional: one writing or work sample covering internet research (in English or German)
All application materials must be submitted electronically via the online application form. Please review the information carefully before applying. If you have questions, email [email protected].
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society (HIIG) Fellowship 2018
[…] in the heart of Berlin, the HIIG provides a dynamic intellectual environment for fellows to pursue their own research interests and […]