Application Deadline: 15 June 2013.
The United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) is collaborating with Education First (EF) in the context of the first UNAOC-EF Summer School, which will take place in Tarrytown, NY, USA, from 24 to 31 of August 2013.
This week-long summer school brings together 100 youth from across the globe to address pressing global challenges within the context of cultural and religious diversity.
The UNAOC-EF Summer School will bring together 100 youth from all over the world for a week of discussions on pressing global challenges within the context of cultural and religious diversity. Several skills-building workshops will be offered with a view to strengthen participants’ ability on topics such as peace-building, human rights, advocacy, social entrepreneurship, etc.
The objectives of the UNAOC-EF Summer School are to:
- contribute to the empowerment of young people by enhancing their intercultural skills and competences;
- strengthen young people’s capacity to get involved in the preparation and implementation of cooperative action across borders;
- facilitate networking and exchanges between young people; and
- develop a network of alumni and make it an important platform for joint action to help address a global challenge.
Skills for positive social change
The seminars, workshops and roundtable discussions at the Summer School will cover a range of themes and topics, including:
- Negotiation for peace-building and cooperation
- Using social media for positive social change
- Fostering responsible global citizenship
- Effective advocacy
- Media and information literacy
- Essentials of social entrepreneurship
Eligibility for the UNAOC-EF Summer School
In order to be considered eligible to apply, you must fulfill all of the following criteria:
- be between the ages of 18 and 35 years old on 24 August 2013 — the start of the UNAOC – EF Summer School.
- be linked to an organization or a network (e.g. youth council, youth NGO, not-profit organization, youth-led organization, community organization, faith-based organization, youth network or platform, college, university), or be a social entrepreneur, blogger, intern or volunteer.
- hold a passport valid until at least March 2014 (for a visa to be issued, a passport needs to be valid for at least 6 months after the expected date of entry into the country).
- possess upper-intermediate English proficiency.
Selected participants of the UNAOC – EF Summer School 2013 will be provided with the following:
- international travel to and from the international airport closest to their residence (this economy class international ticket will follow the most direct route),
- visa and travel insurance,
- shared accommodation (double or triple rooms with participants of the same gender) while in Tarrytown,
- meals during the official portions of the Summer School,
- full event access during the entire week of the Summer School, and
- shuttles from and to the airport in New York City.
- the cost of US and transit visas (if applicable),
- the cost of vaccinations required to enter the US (if applicable), and
- the cost of medical insurance required to enter the US (if applicable).
Participants will cover the following:
- local transportation to and from the international airport closest to their residence,
- cost of meals and other incidental expenses while traveling from and to their residence to New York City,
- cost of meals and other incidental expenses incurred outside of the official portions of the Summer School, and
- any souvenirs, phone calls, equipment, etc. purchased for the Summer School or during the Summer School.
Please note that neither the UNAOC nor EF will reimburse any expense incurred by participants to the Summer School.
The selected participants will be announced on 1 July 2013. All applicants will receive an email announcing the results of the selection process.
This year marks the fourth UNAOC Summer School.
Youth (between 18 and 35) who are interested in attending this year’s summer school can apply at www.UNAOCEFSummerSchool.org on or before 15 June 2013.
Selected participants will be provided with flight, accommodation, meals and full event access.
For more information about the UNAOC-EF Summer School, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: The United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) and Education First (EF) expect to officially launch UNAOC-EF Summer School in Spring 2013. However, UNAOC and EF reserve the right to not select any applicants, or to cancel the Summer School for any reason. UNAOC and EF accept no liability for cancelling the Summer School or for anyone’s failure to receive actual notification of cancellation.