Application Deadline: January 14, 2022
The Arrell Global Food Innovation Awards recognize global excellence in the broad area of food innovation and community impact. In 2022, two awards will be given:
– One award will recognize a researcher, or group of researchers, who has advanced understanding of food production, processing, distribution, consumption, safety and/or human nutrition, with a significant benefit to food systems or wider society. Likely themes
include: food science, the environmental impact of agriculture, crop or livestock genetics, agro-ecology, soil health, food animal health and production, pest management, supply chain management, food processing, food packaging, food safety, food consumption, human nutrition, food retail/marketing.
The other award will recognize an individual, or group of individuals, who has contributed to improved nutritional health and/or food security, with a focus on strengthening disadvantaged communities. Likely themes include: food sovereignty, food production, food distribution/ access, food insecurity, community development and governance, household nutrition, urban poverty, traditional food systems, socioeconomic policy, empowerment of under-served communities, food and nutrition literacy.
The criteria for awarding the Arrell Global Food Innovation Awards are as follows:
• The individual or group being nominated will have made exceptionally significant and documented contributions to either our scientific understanding related to food production, distribution and sales or human nutrition/consumption; and/or at the
community level in markedly improving nutrition, including access to, or distribution of food.
• The nomination package must clearly demonstrate how the individual or group being nominated played a critical leadership role in achieving the above noted contributions.
• Recipients must be able to attend the award ceremony and ancillary events.
• Citizens of any country are eligible for nomination, with no restrictions on gender, race, religion, creed or residency.
• Nominations may come from private companies, academic institutions, governmental units, charitable foundations, and not-for-profit organisations. In the case of multiple nominations from a single organization, only the one with the latest date will be accepted.
Terms of the Award
The Arrell Global Food Innovation Awards come with the following terms:
• Each of the two prizes will be worth $125,000 CAD comprising a $100,000 cash award for the personal use of recipients and up to $25,000 per award for travel and accommodation of the recipients, administered by Arrell Food Institute at the University of Guelph.
• An award citation and a commemorative item will also be presented.
• Recipients are expected to participate in a program of events. In particular, award recipients maybe asked to attend the next Arrell Food Summit. There may also be other engagements organized, subject to mutual availability.
• Given the current global pandemic a determination on the travel and accommodation component of the award will be made some time in the future.
• October 25, 2021: Open nominations
• January 14, 2022: Nominations close
• January – February 2022: Administrative checks, then eligible nominations to Adjudicators
• March 2022: Adjudication Panel meets to select recipients.
• April 2022: Recipients announced
For More Information: