Application Deadline: 31 January 2017.
The Association for AgriCulture & Ecology (Agrecol e.V.) in Germany offers internship placements and travel stipends for students enrolled in universities and colleges in German-speaking countries. In the coming year (2017), the Association can arrange two internship placements in ecologically oriented agriculture with the partner organisations Agrecol-Andes (Bolivia) and Agrecol-Afrique (Senegal).
The internship offers students an opportunity to acquire practical knowledge in sustainable agriculture and land management in a developing country. By living and working in another sociocultural environment, students can also gain valuable intercultural experiences.
Information about the internship with Agrecol–Afrique in Senegal
Agrecol-Afrique is a non-governmental organization (NGO) which contributes since 1996 to the development of organic agriculture by implementing projects in the region of Thies in Senegal (the NGO is based in the city of Thies). Agrecol-Afrique works towards food security in Senegal and more widely in West Africa. In collaboration with different actors of rural and agricultural development, the staff of Agrecol-Afrique is contributing to information exchange, training and advisory services in organic agriculture. In 2009, Agrecol-Afrique was a founding member of a national foundation for promoting organic agricultural development.
In 2017, a trainee position is offered in the project SOLEIL (Solidarité-Écologie-Innovation Locale), working with farmers’ groups and measures for local sustainable food security.
EligibilityStudents eligible to apply for the internship placement and travel stipend are those who:
- Are enrolled in a university or college in a German-speaking country (including foreign students);
- Have basic knowledge and/or experience in managing organised groups (for small-scale production, processing and marketing of agricultural products);
- Have their own laptop or notebook that they can use during the internship;
- Have basic knowledge about (ecological) agriculture;
- Are interested and sensitive in working with smallholder farmers in different sociocultural contexts;
- Are dynamic, open and committed;
- Show high levels of self-reliance and self-organising capacity
- Have a sufficient command of Spanish (Bolivia)/ French (Senegal) to be able to work in this language (interview will be made by Skype with Agrecol–Andes/Afrique);
- Are under 30 years of age.
Support is provided for up to three interns each year and consists of the following:
- Coverage of a round-trip Economy flight ticket between Europe and the country in which the host organisation is operating
- Availability of at least one member of Agrecol Association as well as previous interns to provide advice and respond to questions before and during the internship
- Invitation of the student, after completion of the internship, to a weekend seminar of Agrecol Association in Germany or a neighbouring country so that the student can present a photo report to the members about his/her experiences as intern; Agrecol Association covers the student’s travel and accommodation costs for the weekend.
The Agrecol Association in Germany covers the travel costs for a round-trip flight between Europe and Bolivia/Senegal.
Timing and duration of internship
The internship should begin, if possible and in consultation with the partner organisations, between June and August 2017. It should last at least six months and can be extended to up to twelve months’ duration.
For More Information: