Application Deadline: 3rd December 2018
Australia Awards, a cornerstone of the Australian Government’s development assistance program for Africa, provide access to postgraduate education, training and professional development opportunities for suitably qualified Africans from eligible countries. On their return to the workplace, Australia Awards Alumni are expected to contribute actively to development in their home countries.
Australia Awards Scholarships are postgraduate scholarships that lead to an academic qualification from an Australian university. The objective of the Awards is to provide high quality education and training to talented Africans who will be in a position, on their return home, to make an important contribution to national or regional development.
Australia Awards Scholarships are currently being offered at Master degree level. Focus sectors reflect areas that have been identified as priorities by partner governments and in which Australia is recognised as having world-class expertise and experience.
Australia Awards aim to promote knowledge, education links and enduring ties between Australia and our neighbours through Australia’s extensive scholarship programs. The initiative aims to build a new generation of global leaders with strong links to Australia.
Award types include:
- Australian Awards Scholarships, to undertake higher degree studies in Australia at Masters level.
- Australia Awards Short Courses, to undertake short-term, targeted professional training courses, in Australia and/or in Africa, in a range of development-focused sectors.
Priority areas are:
- Agricultural Productivity
- Extractives and Natural Resource Management
- Public Policy (especially those focussed on governance and economic policy, including trade policy)
Applications from exceptional candidates will also be considered in the following sectors:
The following countries are eligible for Scholarships:
- Citizen of an eligible African country
- Minimum academic requirement: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Mid-level to senior-level professional, currently employed in a relevant field
- Meet relevant post-graduate work experience requirements
- Demonstrate a clear vision of how the knowledge gained through the scholarship will be used to improve policy, practice or reform in their home country
- Satisfactory English proficiency to enable full participation in a training course delivered in English
- Satisfy all requirements of the Australian Government for the appropriate student visa (subclass 500).
English Language requirements and support
All studies undertaken under Australia Awards are in English and, for postgraduate studies at an Australian University, a high level of English proficiency is required.
English requirements for Masters Awards:
- Candidates for Masters Awards may be required to sit a language proficiency test as part of the selection and course placement process. Language proficiency is tested through the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), an internationally recognised practical English language assessment used by those seeking international education. Alternatively, candidates requiring evidence of English Language Proficiency may also use Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) results. If you are submitting IELTs or TOEFL scores with your application, they should not be more than one year old at the time you make your application.
Australia Awards Masters Scholarship
Entitlements for holders of a Masters Scholarship include the following:
- The full costs of tuition fees for up to two years
- An economy class flight to and from Australia. Note: Excess baggage and travel insurance charges are not covered
- An approximate annual stipend of AUD30,000 to cover living expenses while on-Award in Australia
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), which covers basic medical costs
- A once-off Establishment Allowance of AUD5,000 to assist with the costs of starting life in Australia and commencing the course (e.g. course books and materials, rental deposits, household items, etc.)
- Awardees, whose families remain in their home country, may be entitled to a reunion airfare allowing them to travel home, midway through the course. This is only available to Awardees whose course is for two years or longer
How to Apply:
In order to apply for a Masters Scholarship in Australia, you will first need to find the course at an Australian university.
For more information please visit www.studyinaustralia.gov.au
For More Information: