Application Deadline: 23:00 GMT on June 28 2018
The BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Awards recognize fundamental contributions in a broad array of areas of scientific knowledge, technology, humanities and artistic creation.
The disciplines and domains of the BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Awards are:
- Basic Sciences (Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics)
- Biology and Biomedicine
- Information and Communication Technologies
- Ecology and Conservation Biology
- Climate Change
- Economics, Finance and Management
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Music and Opera
The Climate Change award recognizes both research endeavors in confronting this challenge and impactful actions informed by the best science. In Humanities and Social Sciences, the award will alternate annually between these two disciplinary domains, with this eleventh edition dedicated to the Humanities. Finally, the Music and Opera category encompasses composition, instrumental and vocal performance, musical and stage direction, and video art creation associated with musical or operatic works.
The BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Awards consist of 400,000 euros, a diploma and a commemorative artwork in each of their eight categories.
In the event that an award is shared by more than one person, its monetary amount will be divided equally among all recipients.
All awards, in whatever category, will be subject to the withholding and other taxes prescribed by current legislation, which will be deducted from their total amount.
- Candidates may be one or more natural persons of any nationality, without limitation of number, that have made independent or convergent contributions to a given advance, whether due to a formal collaboration (with the nominees belonging to one or more groups) or parallel working.
- The awards are also open to scientific or cultural organizations that can be collectively credited with exceptional contributions to scientific knowledge, cultural creation or the fight against climate change.
- Awards may not be granted posthumously.
Any scientific or cultural organization or institution can submit nominations, following their own internal procedures. Among them:
- Scientific or artistic societies and organizations
- National and regional academies of science or culture
- Public or private R&D centers
- University schools, departments or institutes and research or teaching institutes
- Hospital departments and biomedical research centers
- Schools of music
- Orchestras, orchestra associations, opera theaters and opera associations
- Public agencies and supranational, national or regional organizations substantially engaged in analysis and/or activities relating to climate change
- Other scientific, cultural and environmental organizations
Winners of the Nobel Prize in any of its categories are likewise eligible to nominate, as are past winners of the BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Awards.
The BBVA Foundation may also invite nominations from researchers and cultural creators that have made outstanding contributions in their respective fields, establishing consultative or advisory panels to this end.
The same organization, institution or individual nominator may put forward more than one candidate without limitation of number, but no candidate may be nominated in more than one award category.
The nomination period will open on January 1, 2018 and conclude at 23:00 GMT on June 28 of the same year.
All nominations should be submitted using the dedicated form on the BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Awards website: www.frontiersofknowledgeawards-fbbva.es.
Both nominations and the accompanying documentation must be submitted in English only.
The nominating institution or individual must provide the following information and documentation, as specified at the above web address:
- 1Award category for which the candidate is nominated
- 2Name of the nominating institution and officer/body, with the corresponding contact data (postal and e-mail address, plus landline and cell phone numbers)
- 3Letter of nomination signed by the nominating officer/body
- Candidate particulars including institutional affiliation and contact data
- Description of the salient contributions of the candidate and reasoned arguments for the nomination (maximum of three pages, single spaced)
- Candidate’s curriculum vitae
The BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Awards will be decided before April 30, 2019.
The awards will be presented at a formal ceremony to be held in Madrid on June 13, 2019, preceded by a gala concert held in Madrid’s Teatro Real on the evening of June 12.
Laureates must agree to attend the presentation ceremony. In the case of awards going to teams, these will be represented by no more than three of their members.
If an award goes to a legal person, it must furnish the following documents after being notified of the award decision:
- A copy of its bylaws
- A copy of its tax identification number
- A statement from the pertinent governing body of the organization or institution confirming its acceptance of the award
For More Information: